1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I Hear From The Fretless Players? Let's Talk Fretless Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SixStrings4Ever, Mar 4, 2010.

1. SixStrings4Ever

SixStrings4Ever

Jan 25, 2010
    NJ
    So, what kind of fretless bass do you have? How many strings and what tuning? Why did you choose fretless? Is it lined or unlined? I want to hear from fretless players! Let's talk fretless basses here! :cool:

2. SixStrings4Ever

SixStrings4Ever

Jan 25, 2010
    NJ
  3. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Man, that is cheap! Pretty nice looking bass. BTW, I have a 6 string unlined fretless that is custom built by an unknown. Very nice bass that I added the electronics to. I have 8 bases. I rarely ever play the fours (4 of them), sometimes play the fives (2) but consistantly play the 6er's (3):D and mostly my Carvin LB76. I do play the fretless 6 on occation, but it has to be a very mello gospel or jazz song.

Yikes....I just realized that I have 9 basses....my wife just shakes her head and walks away!

4. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I've been playing fretless since 78, after removing the frets off a Columbus Jazz copy... since then I've had a SB1000 fretless, currently for sale, and I play a heavily modded 62 Jazz in a Drum&Bass scenario...

[​IMG]

It's a monster!

5. RicoDirenzo

RicoDirenzo

Apr 3, 2009
    Chico, CA
    Very Purdy!!!!

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    1- 4 string unlined
    1- 5string inlined
    1- 6string lined

7. I have a MIM Fender Jazz Lined Fretless. I've warmed up to it more and more since I got it. It's my go to bass for Standart tuning.

8. Benavente

6, BEADGC

These 2 guys made me rip the frets out of my bass at the time.

unlined... I've spent years trying to stop looking at the neck while I played, why would I put lines to look at on it?

kkaarrll likes this.
  9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    With the exception of one fretted bass, I only own and play fretless. I have a fretless 8 (single course) unlined, a fretless 6 lined, a fretless 6 unlined and a fretless 4 unlined. My only fretted bass is a 7, and that will likely be defretted at some point this year ..... :cool:

Lines or unlined, doesn't matter to me at all .....

10. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Been playing unlined fretless basses exclusively for 10 years. Currently in a blues/rock band.
    1. Nash J with Lollars
    2. US G&L SB-2
    3. '79 Fender P
    4. '62 RI Fender J

There is a Fretless club here at TB with hundreds of pics. :)

11. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Mine is a boring old Fender Bullett Bass 4-string that I converted to fretless. Originally what had happened is that I read an interview with Jaco where he said that he pulled out the frets on his Jazz bass and filled the gaps with epoxy. I, being 18 and stupid said "cool! I can do that!" and then proceeded to get some pliers and yank out the frets on my bass. However, I applied too little epoxy too late and I wound up with a neck so bowed I could shoot arrows with it.

So I decided to take some of the money from my grocery store job and just buy a fretless neck from Steve's music. A little while after that, I replaced the nut and tuners because the original ones didn't fit quite right. Then I replaced the bridge because hey, with a fretless, you don't want to take chances with your intonation, right? So anyways, it's a bit of a frankenbass now...I may even replace the pickups, since the current ones seem to have a little too much "woof" on the low end.

12. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    EBMM Stingray 5 unlined, BEADG. I play my fretless way more than my fretted Warwick, but I think it's good to keep a fretted bass around.

13. _Sasquatch_

_Sasquatch_

Sep 27, 2009
    Michigan
    I have my wishbass #1103 (pictured below) and an old Ibanez 4 string I defretted.
    IMG_2985.jpg

14. Kuoxasar

Kuoxasar

Aug 8, 2009
    No picture, but I have a nice SX Fretless P-bass, 4-string. Remarkably versatile. I have a fretted Fender American Jazz and I'd like to switch the two around (fretted P, fretless J).

Actually what I'd really like is a fretless P, fretless J, fretted P, fretted J, fretted StingRay, fretless StingRay... :p

15. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    Just got my first fretless. It's an sx jazz 4 string lined. I am loving it and can't believe I didn't try fretless sooner.

16. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    I have an ESP ltd B-104, defretted & polyurethane coated running 3 EMG soaps - P/TW/J, strung with fender nylons in tune of EADG. Also, an Ibanez EWB spalted maple acoustic with D'Addario EXP strings, also EADG. Both are lined. The ESP packs more punch than Mike Tyson :smug:

17. bigd4207

bigd4207

Apr 28, 2006
    In the clouds
    Actually what I'd really like is a fretless P, fretless J, fretted P, fretted J, fretted StingRay, fretless StingRay... :p[/quote]

Lol, don't we all ;) but you forgot the fretted and fretless modulus :D

18. lets see a pic of the 79 p?

19. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    1.SX
    2. It's got 5.
    3. I tune it to DEADG. Works for me.
    4. I thought it would sound like Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" tone. Not even close, though. I'll keep looking though.
    5. It's lined.

I'm liking the fretless overall. It's a cool thing to have sitting around.

20. I have a Squier Jazz Deluxe V that I picked up used here on TB. It was professionally defretted by a luthier as per the previous owner. The bass looks unlined, but up close I can see where the frets used to be, so that helps with positioning. For me, it's kinda the best of both worlds. Some day I'm hoping to snap up a Lakland fretless 5, but there are other things on 'the list' before that.

The only drawback is that it's 34". All my other basses are Lakland 5 stringers and they are 35". The string spacing is the same, which helps.

I use LaBella Tapewounds (BEADG) on it and have really come to prefer those over everything else. Tapes give more 'snap' than flats, but are quieter than nickels. I don't have stainless on any basses...

I only started playing fretless about 2 years ago, but I consider my stable to be incomplete without a fretless in it.

When it comes to using it, the song has to justify it. I don't ever try to force it into where it will stand out inappropriately. But I sure do enjoy playing it!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020