Can I hook my Bmax up to a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 28, 2005.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey all;

I just recieved a BBE Bmax today. I have the cabinet that I'll be using with it, but I still don't have a power amp yet. I want to try it out and was wondering if I could plug it into a combo amp. I have an effects loop; I was wondering if I could plug into that.

Thanks for any help.

p.s. I was wondering: does the direct out send a flat or colored signal to the board?
  2. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    ...but I'd just plug it into the active input, or use a -20db pad if it's got one. Just don't turn it up unless you want distortion. Plugging into the effects loop would probably not give you an accurate picture of the pre's tone, what with the combo's eq, input stage, etc happening before the loop. I just plug my Bmax straight into a Bassman 50 in one of my bands, and it sounds great. I love it's compressor. :) .
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm pretty aware of the unit's funky EQ so I'm going to turn everything off and then adjust as to not overload the amp. I'll probaly be purchasing the power amp within the next coming weeks, so I'm quite excited.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you have it backwards. If all that stuff is happening before the loop, then plugging in the loop's return would bypass it all, which would give you a *truer* sense of the BMax's sound than plugging it in the front of the combo (which i think would not be as good an idea).
  5. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I did that the first time I got my Bmax with my Bassman 25. I just plugged straight in (no fxloop usage) and it sounded quite good, though there was some definite coloring. Once I got my cab, though and hooked it up through that, oh man. I'm still falling in love with that thing (mostly because I don't get to use it at school except at gigs and when playing with other people, which happens much too rarely).

BTW, which model do you have? I've got the completely solid state one (my whole rig is solid state).
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you have an FX loop, you can run it through that no problem.
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Try This:
    Plug your bass into the BMax (a fine preamp, BTW...congrats). If you are using any fx plug those into the fx loop of the Bmax (mind you this is a serial loop, so some adjustments maybe neccessary). Plug the output of the Bmax into the "effects Return" jack of your combo. This will allow you to bypass the preamp/eq of the combo and use only its' power section. This will give you a true picture of what the Bmax is doing. You are now using your combo's pwr section as just a pwr amp. The master volume/output will control the volume, and the input gain, eq dials etc. will have no effect on your signal. I do this using a SWR California Blonde with a Demeter preamp for small gigs.

As a side note: the Bmax does not have a dedicated tuner out. But, you can send a signal to a tuner from the fx send of the B-Max. Do not send a return signal here, even if your tuner has an output. Of course to do silent tuning you must manually turn down the ouput vol of the BMax, but it is a way around this (slight) oversight.

8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey guys;

Thanks for all the info. Last night I tried it through a Sunn Betabass. I found that there were accessory hookups in the back that connected directly to the power amp (it's my father's combo, so I'm don't know everything about it like I do my own equipment). I then plugged my cab into the back of the Sunn to get an accurate audio picture of the sound.

First impressions - it was late at night, so I couldn't crank it to get the full range. I really dig what it was doing, very hi-fi and cutting. Luckily our guitarist has great tone and doesn't scoop his mids, so cutting through usually isn't a problem anyways. It took a little getting use to the EQ. I like the dedicated mid-shaping controls. The compressor seems very nice. I also like the bright switch. I can't wait to hook up a juicy poweramp and let things rip.

I'm going to go try it through my combo's loop (Thanks Max!), and I might take it to my gig this weekend.