1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I hook up my iPod to my Bass Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bongokid, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Bongokid

Bongokid

Sep 28, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I was wondering if I had a 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor, would I be able to play music from my iPod out of my rig...?:hyper: :oops:

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Totally...just start at a low input volume

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I would make sure the volume on the ipod was turned down quite a bit before doing so but it should be ok.....

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Sure, I do it with my Shuttle 9.0 and NV215. The highs don't reproduce very well but there's tons of bottom and mids there.

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yes, but the best results are if you have a line-in that mixes stereo L/R down to mono for you. Otherwise, for good results, you need a little mixer to mix them down. If you put a stereo 1/8th" to 1/4" adapter into the preamp input, you will only get one channel. Of course, if you have an option to send a mono signal from the ipod, you are golden—but they don't do that, do they?

6. Yes. Turn amp's input down completely, set iPod 3/4 of the way up, slowly turn up the amp's input gain to the level of your choice.
    Now, if you want to play along with the music, you'll need either:
    A. An auxilliary input for the iPod/music player/etc.; or,
    B. Two input jacks on your amp; or,
    C. Dual female 1/4-inch-to-male-single1/4-inch Y-adapter cable. Plug guitar into one jack, the iPod into the other, plug male end into your rig.
    I have used all three techniques, depending on the amp used.