1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can i hook up this subwoofer to this old receiver?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by catcauphonic, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Stereo system is a thrift store Frankenstein, but with all decent components ... including a Technics su-v96 class-A reciever, which i have 2 speakers coming out of the L&R mains. Here's a schematic of the rear ... it can accommodate another 2 'remote' speakers >

3417808A295F2C0D86F906E3CA529288ECDAB0AE004.

I recently was gifted a Kinetic sub model KA4210 (untested yet) that looks like this from the rear >

20170110_123333.

So, 3 questions:

-What's the quickest way to safely test that this sub even works?
    -Are these compatible?
    -If so, can i connect the sub to the reciever without having to switch the existing speaker connections (from the receiver to the sub?)

Thanks in advance for your input and output :thumbsup:

2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I was hoping this would be about old Yamaha subwoofers. I have one that only has a single RCA connection on the back as an input.

3. I suppose you can (Split) y out the Preouts (Left & Right)to Mains In to give you a left and right signal which will be controlled by the volume on the receiver to the aux. input of the sub-woofer and back into the Mains in of the Receiver Amplifier. I am a bit more concerned however as to why your sub has antenna connections.

4. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Yeah, the antenna connections are a bit "What?" for a subwoofer. Is it really more of a stereo receiver that happens to live in the same box as the subwoofer?

Likely just hook up one of the tape outs to the "center/sub" or "aux" in to test it, but you won't have any volume control that way. Your mains will also be trying to pump out the bass, still. Yank the preamp horseshoes to do it with a bit more finesse from the preamp out.

Connecting the pre-outs to the aux in, and your L/R speakers to the L/R speaker outs would give you more of what the SW is supposed to (taking that load OFF the mains.) It also means you are basically using the current stereo as a pre-amp only, but there's life with FrankenSteinian stereos. If you get into a Y cable, remember the cardinal rule - an output can drive multiple inputs, but an input should not be connected to multiple outputs (the clever folks at college fried more stereos at dances by ignoring that one.)

5. No.
    It is part of a set of five other speakers that it also powers with AM/FM receiver and all power built in. You are suppose to plug in you phone into the mp3 or your T.V. into the aux and the dvd input.
    All of the speaker connections are powered outputs. It is a fancy looking boom box that has separate speakers to be like a home theater :rollno:. Use it as a boom box with your phone(Though it will not sound good) or throw it out.

catcauphonic likes this.
  6. You could use a sub that the all the speaker inputs go into & has a L&R out. Active subs have this also. I have a passive Bose acoustimass sub that works great
    set up like this. My active sub has both type of inputs, line in & all speakers that feed thru.

th.

7. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Ahh i see what y'all are saying about it being a reciever as well as a sub. Also not being able to control the volume of it independently, makes me think it won't make a good addition.

I think I'm just gonna test it to make sure it powers up, and put it in the latest donation pile for Goodwill.

Easy come, easy go :thumbsup: Thanks folks.

8. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Unless you put a crossover between the receiver and the sub (although see S-Bigbottom's post), it won't sound very good.

9. Plug in the power then hook up your phone to the mp3 to test it.
    It is one of them crappy stereos you get at a swap meet or out of a van in a random parking lot where the guy claims it to be a $1,000+ item but we got so many my Boss wants me to unload them, so you can get it today for $250.
    Just garbage that makes loud to get quick money. Open it up for fun and look at all the glue and poorly placed parts on the pcb board. :eek:

Nobody try to get it's manual. When I tried it kept trying to load "other" programs on to my computer and would not let me close it. :rage: Which means I am right about the out of van crap. :rollno:
    Scam stereos. :banghead:

10. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I've never heard of Kinetic before this, but a half-arsed Googlin said they've been making surround systems since the 90s ... that's about all i know