1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I just "add" a preamp to this bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Crescent Seven, Mar 26, 2006.

1. I have the Spector Legend, which I mistakenly thought had an active preamp in it. It has passive EMG Hz's and an EMG "active tone circuit", but alas, no preamp.
    This bass has very low output, I have to turn my amp up almost all the way to get a workable volume, and even then I have to play very aggressively, so I want to get more gain out of the bass itself.
    If I picked up an Aggy OBP-3, could I just put it in, or would I need to get active pickups as well?
    Thanks!
    C7

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The "active tone circuit" is a preamp. The Legend has a 3 band preamp.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    To answer your question, no you would not need active pups, it would work fine with passive.

4. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I don't know much about Spectors, but I'm sure that you could change the preamp without much modification.

Have you tried replacing the Batteries?

5. It's not a preamp. It's a circuitboard the size of a postage stamp soldered to the stacked treble/bass pot.:meh:
    The volume pots are 500k, also...
    The battery is brand spanking new, that was the first thing I did when I got home with it.
    C7

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    That, my friend, IS a preamp.

7. If this is true, it's the biggest POS preamp in the history of mankind.:D
    I've had several others tell me that it's not a preamp, simply active tone circuitry. If I plug this bass into the active input on my amp, I can turn the volume and gain controls all the way up, and all the tone and volume controls on my bass all the way up, and it's STILL not loud enough to cut through unless I dime my eq on the amp, and then it's all clippage and nasty violent clicks.
    C7

8. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Not unless it has a battery.

9. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Does your bass have a switch to turn the active circuitry on/off? If it's in the "off" position while plugged into the Active or High Gain input, you would get a really low signal and very little volume. I don't think that you are describing this, though. I can't imagine that the output of your bass in "active" mode would be so low that you have to turn the amp up to 10 just to hear it. Unless something is really wrong. Have you tried a different bass through your amp...or your bass through a different amp? Try to rule out that it is indeed your Bass and not a bad cord or your amp is messed up...Spectors have a good reputation and I've never heard of this problem before (or seen it on TB forums!)

10. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    He SAID it had a battery. He also specified that it was "active" tone circuitry. The definition of an active circuit is one which requires power.

11. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    agreed. Sorry for not reading the entire thread.

12. If I plug my MIM Precision into this rig and I turn the volume up past about 4, I'll blow my speakers across the room. That's why I'm so concerned about the Spector, because yes, I've played Spectors that had very hot pickups, and this one doesn't.

So then what's the best solution? Unfortunately it's the J-style neck pup and the soapbar bridge, so I can't just buy a set of 40DC's and call it good.:meh:
    C7

13. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Check the height of your strings off the pickups. I dontk now what a good number is, but the further they are from the pickups, the less output you'll get. What kind of amp do you have?

14. I play through a MAG300 with a 2x10 Avatar Delta and a Homebrew 1x15 box. It's plenty loud for my other basses, but I'm not impressed by the Spector. The tone is good, it just doesn't put out enough of it.:meh:
    As far as pickup height, that was the first thing I adjusted; they are as high as I can have them without the B string clacking off of them. I might raise the bridge pup up a little bit more since I play more forward anyways, but I can't really raise the neck pickup anymore than it already is...
    C7