1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I just disconnect one pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Willem, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    Hello

my bass has two 35 sized EMG pickups... now the bridge pickup is getting in my way at times and I always play full on on the neck pickup so I was wondering if I could just disconnect the bridge pickup and leave it out? There is a quick connect system on the pickups for changing them out easily without any soldering.

So would it work? Would the controls (active EQ and volume) still work? I wouldn't fry the pickup and the EQ that are still in the bass because too much current will flow through them? I'm a little worried because I don't know that much about electronics... but I'm confident someone here will be knowledgable enough to help me!

Thanks
    willem

2. Cebe

Cebe

Jan 29, 2008
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    I think you can remove it without any problems.

3. My bass has EMGs, and yes everything works after disconnection of one pickup. The Blend pot will work like a volume.

4. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    No problems with a standard setup.

If you have an alternative wiring setup (very rare) then it might stop working but it would not hurt anything. To fix just plug it back in...

To expand on Ach's post - the blend will work like a linear vol pot as opposed to a log vol pot. This is just a different curve so the vol change with rotation is different.

5. to Audere,
    about blend pot: EMGs are using double reverse log pots for blend

6. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Ach - Thanks for the info...