Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can i just use this as a rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Sep 9, 2003.

1. yeah, as some of you may know, my gk1001rb recently fried for no reason shortly after just turning it on and not playing out of it at all, so i am going to have to use something until that gets fixed. my question is this: can i just use my rack gear and a poweramp to amplify my sound. the rack gear i would be using is as follows:
    behringer peq-2200 (?) parametric eq
    aphex 204 aural exciter with c2
    dbx 266xl (?) compressor

yeah, it makes sense to me that it owuld work with just the power amp and bass. i am thinking about getting a tech 21 sansamp to use as a pre/overdrive pedal later. oh yeah, the power amp i would be using would either be a carvin dcm 1000 or 1500.

thank you
    erik

2. Your GK is a power amp (just like the Carvins you mentioned only not as powerful) with a pre-amp in front of it, stuffed into one convenient box!!! The answer to your question is "Yes". By adding an amp to your rack gear you're basically doing the same thing. Your Aural Exciter should work as a pre-amp. It might not be the greatest sounding thing in the world (I could be wrong) but it should work just fine. Let us know how it turns out!:bassist:

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The pre-amps job is the get the signal from your instrument (typically <1 volt), and increase it into something the power amp can accept ( >1 Volt).

If your rack gear can boost the voltage of the signal, and do it relatively cleanly, it could work. Bare in mind if it you the signal picks up some dirty sound in the process, the power amp will not only amplify the bass signal, but the dirt as well.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    With the sans amp...you may like it better than the gk...:) you never know...sounds like a good rig

steve