Can I learn One By Metallica in 3 days?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tubs, May 21, 2001.

1. Tubs

Apr 2, 2001
    ok.....ppl, i'm taking bets on this.

I have a gig on thursday and my band have decided that we are going to play one by metallica.....1 problem i dont have a clue how to play it.

Me learning it: 5:1

Me f**king it up : 2:1

Make your bets now!!!

I'll keep you updated
  2. Ok my band used to play this one alot. thank god we didn't have to play it live because i never took time to learn it.

Best thing to do is cheat through the first bit, as the last half is ok. The last bit, you know the hard core part "Darkness! Imprisoning me!" its all pretty much open E with F at the stop. After that do fills and follow the drums.

See that way you can focus on learning the first slower parts which are a bitch. When i played it i would do the simple parts aka root notes of the guitars. Umm it was B# then open A F# or something, i dunno, aorund that area. lol

Just try the first half and adlib the last, as the last parts are really easy.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    you ending up reading the tab 2:1 :D
  4. Can I learn One By Metallica in 3 days?

You can probably learn it in three hours. Just listen carefully.
  5. you got a few options here:
    1.learn by ear. better way of learning, but harder and will probably take a while unless you're good at it.

2.get tab. tabs work fine and you'll know it good enough in like 3 or 4 hours.

3.fake it
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This isn't really got a day to fix that;)
    Also, when it has happened come back, then it will be a gig story...:D
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I say: It depends on why you REALLY want to learn it. If you just want to learn it to win a bet and your heart really isn't into it, you'll never learn it.
  8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000 brother. Im sure you've heard this before. You can do whatever you put your mind too.....even if you do have to fudge on the song.

I played with a group of bandmates/friends to fill in for an absent band this weekend at a club. The afternoon I found this out, I got a copy of the set list. I printed up some....don't cringe....tabs, and learned about 20 songs in one afternoon. Perfect. heck no! good enough. yeah, i think so. so you can nail one. i have faith in ya!
  9. Yes but its you JWC! you can do anything! you're the bestest and should rule above ALLLLL bass players.

Pls note the sarcasm. lol :p

So dude, how you getting on with ONE? Did u win any bets??

10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Can you beleive this guy? Man you must have some issues, I dont beleive I have typed one word toward you since my return. This guy is starting trouble, but im gonna ignore the child like my teachers and paretns told me to do when people are ignorant.
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Tubs, it was suggested to do some faking, but I would be careful about thinking you can fake your way through a well known song like "One." You can fool some of the pople, but those who know and love the song will know you are wrong.

Without knowing your level of playing or your experience, I would suggest you do the expedient thing. Get the sheet music. If you don't "read", get the bass tabs. Both are easily available.

Sit down with the tape or CD and the sheet music and learn the bass line, section by section. Then try to play it without the CD. Can you remember it? If not, listen again. Then play it w/o the CD again. Do this over and over until you have the entire thing nailed.

When you are falling asleep at night, go over the song again instead of counting sheep. Name the chord progression until you fall asleep. Start by naming the key of the song.

If you had to come here and bet on learning it in three days, that indicates you have some doubt that you can. If you make it a priority, you may be able to do it. I say MAY. If you and your band are not prepared to play it, don't foist a badly prepared rendition of "One" on your public.
  12. Dude listen to what Jason has to say he(actually a she) should know being that he wrote the bass line and that:D
    Sorry that was sarcasm at it's worst.
    Your best bet would be to learn it as best as possible and write yourself out a small chart to take on stage with you. On the chart you should just write out the chord progression for each part as it is mostly the root notes and just stick it down where no one can see it and you'll be right just remember to practice as well so that the chart is just for queing you in.
  13. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    damn man, there's no goddamn bass in that song anyway ... unplug yourself and look as if you're going mental all over the fretboard. hey, it's metallica - NO-ONE is going to notice the difference :D
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Punk & are too funny.

The idea to make chart of the chords and song structure is an excellent suggestion. It didn't occur to me because one seldom sees metal players with charts when they play for an audience, but I don't know if any one will be the wiser, especially if you are at the back of the the dark and fog mist.

As for turning down the bass and letting the guitars carry the song...a possibility...but do THEY know the song? If your drummer has his kit miced really well, maybe HE can carry the song. (Just kidding.)

Three things will be crucial to your success. One...know the chord progression. Two...know the structure. Three...know the timing.

If you will have plenty of time to rehearse with your band that will be a positive factor, too. But go to the rehearsal prepared or you will lose valuable rehearsal time just getting squared away.

Tell us how it goes. I'm hoping with all the input folks have given you, that you will surprise even yourself with how well you do.
  15. sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I hope you learn it,
    I hope you F*ck it up,
    I hope you have fun!
  16. hmm CLiff's Dead, Jason left although he played and sounded as if he was dead..hmmm follow the trend??

17. PeninaD

May 26, 2001
    So, how'd it go?
    I hope you did not 'eff' up the song...especially the 16th note triplets at the end..anyone would recognize the error if you're off there.
  18. cover songs are never hard to learn. it has never taken any longer than about four hours of practice for we can play the song perfect. for some reason our siger can never remember the words though.
  19. Simple Answer!
    Yes you can do it, easily.
    It isn't one of Metallica's tricky songs and if you can't learn it by playing along to the cd, get the tabs and you're on your way.
  20. Tubs

Apr 2, 2001
    ok..... sorry for not updating u sooner but it went GREAT!!!!!
    We played really bad but we were enjoying ourselves so much they loved us.
    I did manage to learn One but only after a couple of hours reading the tab and listening to the mp3.
    i actully managed to pull it off but i forgot a few bit but it went fine.
    all in all a good gig.
    The only bad thing was my friends band played after us and as soon as they started playin everyone left which made me feel quite bad.