Can I learn to play bass on the comp?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassGeetar, Oct 14, 2005.

1. BassGeetar

Oct 14, 2005
    I really dont want to get lesson's. I wanted to know If I can learn the basic's of what I need to know on the net. If so can you recomend a website.
  2. Can a computer watch you and tell if you're doing something wrong? Can a computer explain something to you in 3 different ways, and then check if you got it? Can a computer set out a course specifically focused on your needs? etc.etc.

I'd say, get a teacher, why don't you want to take lessons anyway?
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You can learn about playing bass with the help of a computer. But I don't think it could *EVER* substitute having a real teacher.

That said, you might want to check out It's an online music school run by adam nitti and a handful of other reputable teachers. They offer correspondence stuff with interactive audio lessons and readily available feedback and dialog with teachers and students.

So, it's probably among the best options for learning through the computer. Combined with a rigid an thorough practice regime, time and a love of music... you could certainly 'learn to play bass'

Many of the greatest bassists of all time were 'self taught', in that they didn't necessarily have specific music/bass teachers helping them along the way. They also didn't have computers or the internet. So how do you think they learned? They listened to as much music as they could, they saw as many live shows as they could, they practice as much as they could, and soaked up everything musically that they possibly could, then spit it back out at the world in the form of something new and awesome.

but... ymmv
  4. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Music Dojo is pretty cool. I've taken a couple of courses there and intend to take more in the future to supplement what I learn from my private instructor. :)

You might also check out There's a lot of excellent free lessons over there for all levels. ;)

Good luck and have fun!! :bassist:
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My two cents for what it's worth: Sooner or later you may want a human face-to-face interaction with you and your bass. The computer cannot evaluate your progress the way a real, live human can.

That said, the human interaction might not necessarily be in the form of a teacher, per se. It might come, for example, when you audition for a band, and your prospective band mates tell you how good you are and you are just what they want or when they seem to snicker when you play.

Or it might come when you first jam with a guitarist or a key board player and you discover how well you get along as musicians. Often other musicians will be glad to give you feedback about your strengths and weaknesses as a bassist.
  6. Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    i've just enroled on one of there teaching things, i start tommorow (monday 17th) so how does it actually work? do i just read through it or something