Can I make my Fender Jazz Deluxe Passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by frankegcbass, May 5, 2012.

1. So this question has been asked here, but with no clear answer. I am curious if I could use the same Pickups and just have it wired differant? Or do I need to buy the pick-ups? I will def be taking the bass to my local guitar shop to have the work done. I will not do the wiring myself. So really, my question is , what do I need to order to make this bass passive, and about how much roughly will it run me to do a job like this? I really don't care if some of the pots don't work. I would be happy with two tone knobs and a kill switch. Any feedback would really be appreciated.
    -Frank

2. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    Any shop should be able to fix that for you. Also fairly easy to do it yourself IMO.

3. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Should'nt run you more than the hourly wages from the tech and the price of 3 pots. As far as I know, fender have never had active pickups, so they won't have to be changed.

4. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    dude i think theres a switch to turn it into passive mode. also if you wanted a passive bass why didnt you just get the standard? you could probably sell it and get a standard with the money and maby a little of your own money.

5. So, the pre-amp would just have to be taken out. That is good news. Thanks fellas.

6. Somebody gave this bass to me a while back and I just fixed it up. Badass 2 bridge , new tuners. So it was not my choice. I have it up for sale on craigslist. But I actually love playing it, so if I could just make it passive it will be in rotation for shows.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Preamp out, tone pot and two volume pots in, plus an extra hole in either the body or control plate to do something with. The value of your bass for resale will go down, if that matters to you. I'd just get a passive Jazz if I were you. You could sell the deluxe, make more than enough for a passive, and maybe even make some money on the deal.

8. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Is it a jazz deluxe with the 'noiseless' marked pickups? (pre 2010) From what I understand they are intended to be used with a pre amp and supposedly can suck all sorts of arse in passive mode.

9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Just have your tech wire up a standard V/V/T control plate,and it's a simple matter of soldering two wires from each p'up. If you want to go back to active,de-solder the p'up leads,drop in the old pre-amp plate,resolder the pup leads..It really is easy

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021