Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i manipulate the body?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rusmannx, Nov 11, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    a friend of mine and I are going to tear my bass apart and rebuild it just for kicks. it's some no name old pile of trash so we're not to scared... and he has rebuilt guitars in the past and has a good understanding of it all anyway.

right now i have a split hummbucker under the bridge, and two single coils about half way to the neck. i'm wondering if anyone has heard of doing something like filling in the existing holes with wood and resetting totally diffent sized pickups. i would like to have a couple of hummbuckers in it. after we're all done doing whatever we're goingto do we're going to put a finish on it so being ugly isn't a problem.
    thanks for the input.
    -russ-
    central utah

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've done this exact thing a bunch of times. With a little care and patience, good results can be had. The easiest way for me is to route a pocket where the existing pickup is, rather than try to shape the filler wood to fit the existing pickup cavity. Also, after sanding the insert even to the body, thin out some wood putty and fill all of small gaps, (there will be some, inevitably), and re-sand until smooth. Be sure to use wood putty that will take staining and finishing well. If you're careful, you can make a patch that will not show...

Good luck!

-robert