Can I match GK 700RB-II with GK CX115 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gaddiel Vazquez, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Hi, recently I get a Gallien Krueger 700Rb-II from GC on like new condition (used gear) but now I would like to get a bass cabinet for play, I have seen the cx115 has 300W, 15" speaker at 8 ohms and the amp head delivers 320W on 8 ohms, I will buy a single cab for play at church and practice at home, cx115 will be a good option or should I go for a 400W cab?

I think to play with a decent volume not forcing too much the cabinet.
    If not, post your suggestions. Thanks!

2. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    What kind of cab are you currently using? Does it currently give you enough volume without pushing it to its limits?

The simple answer is that speaker size and quantity are usually more important than wattage ratings, as more displacement (from the speaker moving in and out) will actually afford you more volume even with fewer watts. Either a single CX115 will be enough for you, or it won't - the head is almost irrelevant, though there doesn't seem to be that great of a disparity between the head and cab that you noted.

Odds are that combination would be perfectly fine, but the devil's in the details as they say. :)

Rickter likes this.
  3. Thanks for reply, I have purchased the bass head, so its new for me I dont have cab at this moment.
    I would like a portable rig :)

Rickter likes this.
  4. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Cool, so this is your very first bass rig? Just trying to get a good feel for what you might be currently using in general.

If so, nice choice on amp! :thumbsup:

Rickter, pht2356 and Ekulati like this.
  5. Thanks man! and this will be my first bass rig, before I had a Line 6 LowDown Studio was my first bass combo amp and then I get a fender rumble 40 v3, I got just one year with the rumble but always had a dream to get a good bass rig (head and cabinet, not combos anymore :p) so, could I use my new GK 700Rb with a cx 115?

6. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yes, just be careful. If you hear the cab farting-out or producing any other signs of distress, turn down. I'd expect that for situations as you noted - church use and home practice, you should be fine. :)

7. GK 700rb delivers 320W at 8 ohm and 480W at 4 ohm
    GK cx115 gets 300W at 8 ohm, so I can see difference of 20W :p at 8 ohm. Crazy if I try to put the 700Rb on a 200W cabinet

8. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    The wattage ratings are just a relatively good rule of thumb. If you're thinking that it'd be impossible to wreck a CX115 with your 700RB-ii because they're within 20 watts of each other, I think you'd be mistaken. :rolleyes: That goes double if you like to use the 5-string button. :whistle:

There are many ifs, buts, and asterisks when it comes to correlating wattage ratings with safe use, and there's almost no such thing as a "sure thing".

Aaaanyways, just trying to promote caution and reason. :) Again, for church and home use, I expect it to be fine. Take that same combination up on stage with a metal band and no PA support... :p

Rickter and Gaddiel Vazquez like this.
  9. one more thing, what means the rear outputs? I see two 1/4" outputs and also two speakon outputs?
    what do you recommend? should I use 1/4 or speakon, thanks :)

10. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    There are some minor benefits to using a Speakon. If you're going to pick one up, I'd go that route and call it a day. Be sure to keep the dummy 1/4" plug in the 1/4" jack if that's the case. I've heard of cases of air escaping through the 1/4" jack if not plugged.

It really doesn't matter so much though as long as you use appropriate speaker cable. The last GK cabs I ordered (Neo) came with cables. That might have just been to utilize the bi-amp feature, but I wouldn't be surprised if maybe other GK cabinets came with one as well. Maybe something to confirm with GK.

11. so, both sides of the cable should be speakon, right?

12. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Yup, that'd be my preference. Though if you have an appropriate 1/4" speaker cable I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to purchase a Speakon cable unless you really wanted to.

Gaddiel Vazquez likes this.
  13. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    I'd look for a used 212.

14. pros? more volume?

15. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    You won't have to push a 212 that hard.
    Go try a 212 or pair of 12's next to a single 15.
    I had the 700rbii, ended up playing it thru a T310 bc I could really open it up at home screwing around bc a 112 just neutered it.

16. Its okay, so my rig will be: GK 700RB-II and a GK Neo 212 for play at church and small medium venues, it will be loud enough?

17. I've used my GK 700RB-II into a GK NEO 212 at church, small/medium venues, smaller festival gigs, etc. I have been more than fine. I have another GK NEO 1x12 that I can bring if I really need thunder, but my single 2x12 has been solid for me as of late. I play dance/pop/rock. Medium loud drummer, Distorted guitar, synths, and sample pads, etc. The rig serves me well.

18. I play bass with a keyboard, two guitars (electric and acoustic), drums and some vocals, so, a single NEO 212 paired with my GK 700rb will be fine and enough? right?

19. It is in my band. I rarely go past half power.

However, every band is different and I mostly use it as a monitor for myself. Most of the gigs I play have PA support and the bass is going through the system.

20. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Yes, in fact I googled a GK 212 neo that GC sold for $349 used.
    Personally I'd go for an Avatar 212 if you can find one $200 or under in your situation.
    It's up to you.