1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I mod a pedal for more gain?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MVPBASS, May 20, 2012.

1. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Inactive

Oct 29, 2010
    I have an Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger but when engaged, it lowers my overall signal. Can I mod a pedal to have more output? Or is there a pedal that will boost my output when using the flanger? I also wouldn't mind if the bass is a little overdriven, just not distorted.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    If you have room inside, a lpb-1 circuit is tiny and does a nice job of a dirty boost.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are so many pedals out there (including flangers) that don't cut your low end or cut your signal overall, that it makes no sense to haphazardly try to modify one that does, or buy a second pedal to "fix" the problems with the first one.

4. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Inactive

Oct 29, 2010
    I like the sound of this one. It's no different than liking a bass but switching out the stock pickups to get a better sound

5. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    If a volume drop is your only problem, have you googled your specific pedal and "volume drop mod"?

6. MVPBASS

MVPBASS Inactive

Oct 29, 2010
    I did, it didn't yield much

7. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    how about a compressor to even out your signal?

8. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    So if you're keeping the pedal, your option is to pick up some type of boost to go after the effect. I can't imagine there being space for a small board and pot in the existing pedal.