Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I play a squire live?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Hello. My band is finally going to do some gigs but something concerned my guitarist (or annoyed him, probably the latter). He said that his dad told him that a squire P-Bass is pretty much useless live and that the BP-15 that comes with it wouldn't stand a chance. Is this 100% true? If so, where can I get a ridiculously cheap and better amp in the next few days? New bass as well?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Your Squire's fine for live playing... The amp may limit you though, unless there is a PA system that you can run through... The bass should be fine however...

-robert

3. While the BP15 will probably be just about useless live, especially in a rock/metal/punk setting, there's nothing wrong AT ALL with playing a Squire onstage.

While it's no Fodera, it should still cut it.

:)

As usual, "don't listen to the guitarist"

:rolleyes:

4. the bass doesnt matter.as along as u like the feel of playing it and what comes out of the basssounds good to u.its fine doesnt matter if its a bass from kamart but ur amp does matter. it wount cut it live. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX hope i dont get spam for trying to sell it.

(De-spammed by HD)

5. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    The Squiers don't put out very much volume. So like a 200 watt amp (in my experience) would equal like a 100. But if you ran it through a PA it would be fine. I would get a new bass though... _-soto-_

6. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    Well, at the moment I have no money and no job so I suppose I'll have to make due by some other means. The first gig will be at our drummer's birthday party and unless the guitarist is a complete freaking maniac, I doubt he'll bring anything like a PA or his dad's awesome amp. Then again, the drummer has quite a nice sound system at his house so there may be a very slim chance we could work something out.
    Luckily the other gig is a large, outdoor venue with a PA to match so I should be fine there. The guitarist'll even lone me his dad's amp. Though all is not yet lost, I should still get a new amp nonetheless.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've played my Squier at a few gigs, and even for a demo recording, and it was just fine.:cool:

The amp is okay in a small room at lower volumes, but otherwise you gotta' go lookin' when you get some cash.

Good luck at your gigs and have fun!

:bassist:
    -WG

8. I saw the Drive-By Truckers last night, and their bass player was playing a Squier P bass. They're on the road about 200 days a year, so if it will hold up for them, I'm sure it will hold up in your situation.

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What? Did you mean his BP15 won't put out much for volume?

Get the best you can afford. If all you can swing is a Squier P-Bass, then so be it. What you play isn't as important as what you play, get it?

Good luck at your gig!

10. I play with my squier live all the time. note that it is SQUIER not SQUIRE. But anyways, that amp wont cut it unless you are playing a gig in a bedroom closet or a bathroom. I used to use a SWR LA-15 100 watt combo thing and that thing was pretty beefy while playing live. But i bought it for $300 ($200 if ur lucky on ebay) which i doubt is a low price 4 u right now. But you can always get a rogue amp. While i would highly highly highly recommend NEVER touching one of these amps, sounds like u need one bad. But rogue amps sound like ass dude, dont count on it for everything.

11. Regi Wooten sounds pretty good with his Squier guitar.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

word

13. Crap. You're telling me I played my first 3.5 years of gigs with a useless bass?? Oops... :rolleyes:

What everybody else said; get a better amp ASAP, the bass can wait.

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I love squier... they own.

Just go look at carvin.com... great amps, low price.

15. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Yes.

:D

Don

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, the 15-watt amp might be weak, but you could always go through the P.A.

If your guitarist's dad doesn't like your bass, maybe he should buy you a new one.;)

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I actully like some squires as a backup. I think some of them feel really nice, and I like the spacing on the 5's. So I have used them live, bypassing my MTD and R bass at times (mainly cause I was feeling a little destructive). Always worked out fine as long as I deal with the EQ up front.

I got a squire protone 5 right now that i would consider a pretty nice bass. Change some of the components, and I'd use it over most of the MIA's.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Bass........good!
    Amp.........bad!

Get new amp!

100w.......OK
    200w.......Better
    300w.......Perfect!

19. Now now now, don't go encouraging him.... ;) :D

20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played a Squier Jazz through my SWR during a major gig. Sounded damn good. Besides, what does your guitarist's dad know?! He raised a guitarists! :D