1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I plug in an additional cabinet when an amp is on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Pomykalski, Nov 7, 2018.

1. I saw this quoted and came back to give you a LIKE, but I already had.
    So double LIKE. Maybe even DOUBLE DOG LIKE.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  2. Some call me pedantic, but I like to think of it as accurate:

2535614852e14bea25b7755094a27f40.

ak56 likes this.
  3. I would go so far as to call you accurately pendantic, knowing that doing so would be repetitively redundant.

4. This is pendantic:

il_340x270.1407166488_bb9m.
    :smug:

pcake likes this.
  5. :roflmao: What I get for engaging in a conversation with a pedant. :thumbsup:
    Or is it pedantarian? pedantian? pedantillist, pedantillator?
    Oh let’s call the whole thing off.

pcake and JRA like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008

I was thinking that once you figured out what cabinet configuration you prefer connected to your amp, you'd be done with adding different cabinet combinations. Any stress imposed on the tubes by powering up and down will be relatively short lived while you are performing your experiments.

I feel that turning an amp off or using standby while adding or disconnecting cabinets is the safest approach to take when adding or removing extension cabinets.

Dan Pomykalski likes this.
  7. What is “this” and “it?”

8. I’m just looking for a simple answer to a simple question. Whether I’m plugging in or unplugging a cabinet one time or a thousand times doesn’t change what I’m asking. You’re overthinking this way too much...

9. I’m never done adding different cabinet combinations :(

I have eightish cabinets and a handful of speakers for them. Something that sounded good last month might sound like garbage the next.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  10. Pedant is the correct form. It is also the part I played in a college production of Taming of the Shrew.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  11. Without a standby switch, just turn the output down to zero while adding/subtracting cabs.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Life is subtracted every time you cycle output tubes on and off. If you have a standby function, by all means use it. If not, your safest bet is to be sure no signal is playing when switching speakers. With signal present there is a higher likelihood of damage to the amp.

13. What is your “It”?

My this and it are these:
    Doing [I have eight cabinets that I swap the speakers in and out of.] is not necessarily cumulative. You are not allotted X number of tries before failure. [I have eight cabinets that I swap the speakers in and out of.] could happen on number three, it could happen on number three hundred. There is no formula.

14. No. I’m thinking exactly the right amount for me.

Tell ya what. If you stop making assumptions about what amount of thinking is right for me.
    I’ll stop making assumptions about you. Deal?

15. chazolson

chazolson Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    Forgive me if I mis-understand the original question, but: why on earth do you want to plug a cabinet into a running amplifier? Is this an Evel Knevel act?

BadExample likes this.
  16. And don’t switches also have a typical number of cycles before failure too?
    So everything dies from use.
    The ultimate in extending amp life is to never use it at all.
    We can’t win but we might be able to choose how we lose. :thumbsup:

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:hyper:

use the standby switch if you have one. at least turn the volume(s) down. make the cabinet switch. good luck! :thumbsup:

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There are multiple failure points, each one is assigned a value based on a number of variables (including power cycles, thermal cycles, hours of operation, temperature, vibration, voltage, load, etc.) Each of these variables is factored into an MTBF equation that helps predict the mean time before failure. This information is then (or can be) used to increase the reliability of an amp by identifying the most significant factors in a product's life. Sometimes, improving a couple of the most vulnerable parts of a design can greatly improve reliability of an amp with little to no cost ONCE YOU KNOW THE MOST CRITICAL FACTORS.

coreyfyfe, Balog, pcake and 1 other person like this.
  19. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Try this at home:

But wear your seat-belt.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  20. Tell ya what. If you don’t make assumptions about people to begin with, they probably.
    Won’t atart making assumptions about you. Deal?