1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I plug in an additional cabinet when an amp is on?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan Pomykalski, Nov 7, 2018.

1. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    This was exactly what I was talking about in my **IMPORTANT** note above.
    When connecting a speaker cable, always plug it into the speaker first, then the amplifier.

2. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    Northern California
    I haven’t experimented with 8 cabs like you but at one point I had 4 and I experimented to see which I like the best just like you are doing. I turned my tube amp off every time (completely off), hundreds of times in a short timeframe. My tubes were fine afterwards. They probably had less life on them because of that, I dunno. They still lasted years.

Dan Pomykalski likes this.
  3. This is a perfect example; thanks!!

707GK likes this.
  4. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Are you 12 years old?

GreyMark and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  5. I would power down each time I added/subtracted a cabinet. Heck, I’ve smoked a class D amp by switching various cabs around quickly. Slightly different situation as I was switch between different single cabs, but still, the tube output section is more sensitive to load changes than the class D transistors are.

6. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    No cabs at all. The jack simple fell on the ground while the other end was plugged in the Amp, and got in contact with a metal plate.

7. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    Agree Since then, that's what I do

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    More sensitive to different kinds of faults.

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. I actually highly doubt that. Tube amps are a lot tougher than people assume they are.

baxter_x likes this.
  10. Well I've heard they must be pretty carefully matched to their load, while SS only has to worry about a minimum load and many can soldier on below that and then protection often kicks in before the amp burns up. How long does it take to burn up an OT when subjected to an infinite impedance - an open circuit? A minute or so?

11. Open circuit is very bad. But short has no effect. You can mismatch the load by around 50% in EITHER direction with most tubers with no ill effects. It's all in the stickies.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    In many tube amp designs, shorted loads stress the output tubes, output transformer and power supply. This may or may not be an issue.

13. Why? Are you into that kind of thing?