1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I power my MB 210 combo speaker with a different head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chadwickw, May 16, 2011.

1. Chadwickw

Chadwickw Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Hey all,

I got a WT-550 last night and I want to try it out. Right now I've got a Markbass 210 combo and I use an Eden 210 XST as an extension cab.

I am probably in the market for a 210 XLT but until then, can I run the 550 through the MB 210 and the XST?

I know how to disconnect the MB 210 speaker from the LMII head--do I just need a 1/4" to run from the new head into the MB 210 speaker while running another connection from the head to the XST?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Chadwickw

Jan 8, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    no help on this one?

3. Chadwickw

Jan 8, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    In case my OP was unclear--I'm wondering if I can bypass the head on my MB combo and power the 210 cab with a different head. Thanks.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You need a 1/4" female to male extension speaker cable. Unplug the internal speakers from your combo head and insert the plug into the female end of your extension cable and then the other end into a speaker output on your WT-550. You won't need to use the output socket on the combo where you unlugged the little lead that dives down into the box. In fact, you won't even need to turn the combo on (duh). And DON'T UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES plug your Eden head's speaker output into the back panel of the combo head where you unplugged the combo's internal speakers!!! I'm not saying you'd be crazy enough to do this, but better safe than sorry.

If you want to use both cabs, run the output of the WT-550 into your Eden cab, then use the other speaker connector on this cab to daisy chain to the drivers in the combo using your male-female extension cable.

Is your Eden cab 4 or 8 ohms? In the manual it says both were available, but the website itself just lists the 4 ohm version. If your cab is 4 ohms, using it with the combo speakers will give you a total impedance of 2.67 ohms and as your Eden head is stable down to 2 ohms, this should not be a problem. But I wouldn't use both cabs with the combo head if that's the case, as the Markbass head isn't rated for 2 ohm operation. If your Eden cab is 8 ohms, then using both will give you an overall impedance of 4 ohms, which will be fine with the WT-550 or with the Markbass combo head.

I hope that helps.

5. Yes, the LMII must be completely isolated from speaker and other amp.

Make sure you're not exceeding/ the limit with too low total ohms, you know how to "add" impedances right? 8 + 8 = 4 etc

Do ensure you use speaker cable and not instrument cable if you need the female/male extension as Bill suggested.

6. Chadwickw

Jan 8, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks, guys. Super helpful. The female to male is a great call--I didn't think about that. The Eden cab is 8ohms--I've been using the LMII in the combo to power the combo cab and the Eden cab prior to owning the WT-550.

Bill--I'm a little confused about one thing you write. If I want to use both cabs can I run, for example, a speakon from the WT-550 to the Eden cab and a 1/4" male to female from another one of the 550's output sockets to the little lead that dives down into the box? You seem to suggest that, but then go on to say that I would run the output of the WT-550 into the Eden cab and daisy chain from that speaker to the internal combo speaker. Which is the preferred method?

Thanks, guys for your help?