1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can i put a 10 inch speaker in place of a 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrashermatt, May 2, 2006.

1. thrashermatt

thrashermatt

Jan 26, 2006
    western mass
    my friend thinks he blew his speaker. He plays a single 12 inch combo. I have a spare 10 inch speaker rated at the same impedence as the 12 inch. is it okay to test/use it if it is infact the blown speaker?

2. you could, but i wouldn't keep it in there permanently, because apparently the cab was built to fit the speaker...you probably won't get the most efficient sound (i believe thats what people told me here) though

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    You can use your 10" speaker to test his amp, and your amp to test his 12" speaker. But you won't be able to mount your 10" speaker in his combo which had a hole cut in the baffle to accept a 12" speaker.

4. Considering that the hole for the 12" is going to be a little less than 2" larger than the 10" speaker, I'm going to say no just based upon your inability to mount the thing properly. You might be able to get 2 screws in to hold it down but you'll have a gap that will go PFFT PFFT PFFT when you try to play lower notes.
    C7

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You never know until you try.

[​IMG]

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    A one inch wide ring of MDF (12" OD, 10" ID) about 3/8" thick oughtta do it.

7. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    It would work but it wouldnt sound like it should, the area/shape of the box reflects the size and other attributes of the speaker.