Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I put a guitar and a bass through my bass amp at the same time?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thunder child, Dec 4, 2000.

1. thunder child

thunder child

Feb 14, 2000
    My guitarist friend doesn't have an amp - will it hurt my amp to put his guitar through at the same time as I put my bass through? I have a 30W Magnum combo....... (don't laugh....).....

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Guitar thru bass amp= O.K. Bass thru guitar amp= risky at the best.

Just keep in mind that you probably will be running the bass and guitars in paralell which in effect presents the amp input with an impedence that is much lower than either the bass or the guitar. If the sound that you get is satisfactory, then go for it. The amp settings will probably be a compromise between the two instruments.

Pkr2

3. thunder child

thunder child

Feb 14, 2000
    Thanks for your response..... but I don't understand what it means when you say that running the bass and the guitar in parallel will present the amp with an impedance that is much lower than either the bass or the guitar? And does this have some sort of affect on my ability to total my amp in this way?

thanks

4. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    My band played a gig years ago when the lead guitar's amp failed. I was using a Peavy 120 and he plugged in too. It worked fine and the amp is still running strong. That is the only time that a guitar went through my amp,

5. it works for me, but i find i need to turn the guitar's onboard volume WAY down, especially with a distortion pedal or something, to equalize the sound.

6. it all depends on the size of the speaker cone, after watching the kids are all right by the who i stuffed my guitar right threw my amps 12 inch speaker, the thing went right threw but i didn't have any room to stick my bass thru the speaker no matter how hard i tried. maybe if i had a 15 inch it would have worked

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I would recommend two tens with a tweeter for the flute. :) :) A 15 would be more suitable for URB.

Pkr2