1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I put a Jazz bass pickup on my bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JeffVanter, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Sep 23, 2012
    I have an SR506m. I've had it for two years and recently I started playing my guitarists bass which is a dean that has a J set up. I have soaps in mine, and I started thinking that it may not be possible. It's set up for these soaps, so will I just have to get a new bass? Is there a way around this?

2. I wouldn't.

Chances are your Ibby is a better bass than 90% of the export Dean basses floating around.

If you Frankenstein the J pup into the Ibby, it will not sound like the Dean.

If you gotta have a J pup, sell your Ibanez and buy a J bass. However, six string Js are few and far between, so check Rondo for a J-esque sixer.

Good luck widdat.

3. JeffVanter

JeffVanter

Sep 23, 2012
    I just noticed the incredible growl it had with that pickup. It also had new strings and mine are old but even when I have new strings, I never get that classic Jaco growl.

4. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Nov 12, 2013
    Virginia
    You can contact Nordstrand as they can probably get you a single coil pickup that would fit in that space.