1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can i put frets on my fretless bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 10, 2004.

1. i have a fender jazz fretless bass and i want to put some frets on it can i do that or will it be to hard and cost to much money? should i just get a new neck, if so anybody try the warmoth necks?

2. well, i've heard of people de-fretting a bass, but never adding frets to a bass, i suppose you could, but i would suspect that it is pretty expensive, especially if you mess up and ruin your neck. I would recommend a wormoth neck of something like that. It's a lot easier and safer.

Charlie

3. Can't be done without a new neck. You would have to make a fret sawing jig that worked on a whole neck as opposed to just a fingerboard.

4. yea thats what thought. i am just going to save up and buy a wamroth neck. maple neck rosewood finger board older style fender frets and a yellow tint gloss. it should look great!

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I don't see why it would be so impossible. If it's lined, then hey, you're one step ahead of the game -- you know where to put 'em! How do you think people put frets on basses in the first place? Take it to a luthier and ask. For something faster, ask on the luthiery forum here, you'll probably get answers from those more experienced, where fretjobs are a daily chore. Either way, good luck!

6. Sure it's possible, but the cost will like run as much or more than a refret on a fretted bass. Probably in the $200 range.

As far as cutting frets on a neck, I've got a jig that does just that. I cut nearly all fretboards after installation on the neck itself.

"Has anyone tried the Warmoth necks?"

You haven't been around here long have you? ;)

Lots of Warmoth stuff here on TB. Nino Brown has built some incredible Warmoth instruments. I have a Warmoth fretless neck on one of my own custom instruments. Warmoth is very high quality and IMO is probably better than original equipment. You can find your neck for under $200 but it will have to be finished to complete the warranty requirements. I think it would be worth it to get a replacement neck and give it a try. At worst, you can resell the neck and not take a loss on it. They hold their value very well.