1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I put higher-gauge strings on my Fender Squier Precision?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lex Starwalker, Mar 12, 2016.

1. I'm a brand new, noob bass player, and I got a Fender Squier Precision to learn on. The bass came with .045-.100 gauge strings. I'm curious if I can replace them with .50-.105 gauge strings (or even just replace the .100 E string with a .105 E string) without having to file the nut or anything.

Sorry for the noob question. I searched the forums for an answer to this question, but couldn't find one.

Thank you!

Linnin likes this.
  2. That's only one step heavier, going from "light" to "medium". Shouldn't be any problem there.

3. Thank you!

4. Hello fellow west coaster! Some weather eh?

And yeah you probably won't have an issue moving to a heavier gauge strong

5. Hi! Yeah, I LOVE the weather here. I grew up in the midwest (IN), so I love the lack of tornadoes, winters so cold trees burst, snow and ice, and ridiculously hot summers. :) I hope to visit Vancouver soon. Beautiful city from what I can see. :)

6. Beautiful, if you count the stormy weather we've been having the past week, the heavy rain, the crappy drivers........and our weak-as-hell Canadian dollar.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I call BS on that as well.
    What a scam our government is running.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    You should be fine.
    45\65\80\100 should allow 50\70\85\105
    Any more and a nut file will be needed.
    Make sure to set up the bass again though!

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Welcome to TalkBass @Lex Starwalker! :woot: Great question, and as others have said there should be no problem.

My question to you is: Have you ever changed strings before?
    No, it's not rocket science, but it's still a mechanical skill that needs to be acquired. Just like learning to do a proper setup, it takes time and effort and skill, and specialized tools.

So don't let this overwhelm you, but do seek out a competent luthier or accomplished technician to teach you. Pay them to do the string installation and setup while letting you watch while they teach you. It's worth every penny. Ask anyone that has screwed up a set of strings because they didn't know what they were doing. Or screwed up their neck attempting to adjust their truss rod. Best of Luck to you my friend. :cool:

10. Heavy4

Heavy4

Sep 4, 2015
    Be careful if in doubt don't change strings I had a great Ibanez blazer bass and I strung it up with 50 gauge and the neck twisted big time.