Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i put lacquer coat on top of..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dooft11, Feb 20, 2006.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    i have a bass body that were tungoil finished. can i put coats of lacquer on top for a high gloss coat? will lacqure attach on tungoil finished surface well. if not. what shall i do to achieve that? thanks so much

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Depends on the type of lacquer, but probably yes.
    I used polyurethane-alkide (commonly found as floor lacquer) on TruOil, and it went on fine.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If I am not mistaken, polurethane will adhere to an oiled surface, nitrocellulose will NOT.

4. The cans I use (Deft) read "make sure surface is free from oils, dust and wax". Poly blends well with oils, some (especially the wipe on kind) are just that, polyurethane mixed with tung or linseed oil. Althought I don't know how it would react if applied on top of a cured pure tung oil finish.

5. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    I was told that polyurethane should not be applied on oily surfaces because it will crackle the finish.

when i wanted to finish a fretted padauk fingerboard (very oily wood), i was told that by an experienced finishing person. i havent tested it myself to know it if its correct or not.

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, on wenge it didn't adhere well after TO, when scratching it with my nails, it was peeling off. However, it worked well with bubinga and ash. Many other have used TO and urethane here, as well.

7. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    I just experienced some cracleness on my spalted maple bass. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221272.
    I had some small spots that would crackle up, when the laquer came in contact with the oil. The poly went down just fine.

8. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I would let the oil completely cure before using anything on top of it.

If I am not mistaken varnish may be used in between dissimilar finishes.

I have used poly over a hardening tung oil based finish just fine.

9. messiest

messiest

May 17, 2005
    u can put in the microwave 2-3 hrs.

10. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    anyone more have the experience?
    thanks messiest, my friend has a very nice modules and he do keep it in the microwave to make it "hot"

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:
    What?