Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i raise my strings? myself?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mans0n, Jun 18, 2002.

1. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    greetings! im considering changing the height of my strings off the fretboard. and im wondering if i can do this personally with my own hands.. never before changing any sort of setup on any guitar. im wondering if i can easily do this without changing intonation or any other things that i would regret? would i be able to just raise it at the bridge, and retune the strings at the machine heads as i normally would?

any help would be appreciated

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yeah, it's easy enough to raise (or lower) the height of the bridge - you'll need to use the allen keys that came with the bass!! (Or find ones that are the right height!)

You may find that you'll have to adjust the intonation slightly when you've done this though - that's not too difficult either. Do a search for intonation - I don't have time to go into it now, but there have been other posts on this!:)

3. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    great! thanks for the reply that gives me a vote of confidence. i didnt wanna jump into a hole i would have to pay someone to get me out of =)

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

YES, but you might still not be correctly intonated!

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada