Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i reccomend...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Dec 17, 2001.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    the zoom bfx 708 basspedal.
    ok, its cheap, its tacky looking, its plastic....it rocks!
    its a great beginners pedal, with some truly amazing synth effects, and time warps and steps..fuzz types, like 100 different effects, amp modelling on it is cool too. all couped with a drum machine and expression pedal.

and all for £90!!

well, im done, i just like it. anyone else feel the same/complete opposite?

2. I like single effects and control over my paremeters not just up and down. Sorry had to say that. You asked for it. Forgive me.

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    yeh, u can change the parameters that the pedal changes.....tone,volume,scratch,gain, to whatever u want :p

4. I don't like expression pedals, their to small the sweep always changes to fast. Plus it's digital and inexpensive digital multi effects usually suck tone like a crazy... OK, stopping there. I really prefer my singles in anolog or hybrid forms but then again I'm not a beginner. I also like to chain up my effects in any order I want, I love running an ehx bassballs into an ehx bass micro synth... Still looking for a really lush chorus or full sounding phasor that clings to your playing.

5. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    thankyou....thankyou for confuzzling me until my eyes bled! ;)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think it's a good pedal FOR THE MONEY that it costs, of COURSE shelling out $200 for a couple of nice pedals will sound nicer, but in that PRICE range, the 708 is a good buy.

The only thing to note is that you should be very nice to the output jack. Mine's starting to go after about 2 years... I don't know if it's worth replacing. I really don't use that many effects. Maybe I'll just buy a nice compressor and an envelope filter. Of course, this is all moot since I have no money.

7. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    thats what i meant, i mean, its well know analog stuff sounds more......er....."real".....but for the price, this pedal does loadsa stuff.

8. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    I have the BFX708, and i think that it is pretty good for the money, although mine cost £100 dammit,

although when i firts got it, a good few months ago now i was getting quite into jaco and the whole nice fretless sound, i had never heard it before and when i found out that the pedal had a 'jaco' pathc i thought...mmmm nice i went to the website and played it, and it sounded good, i bought it and it amused me when i played my tangelwood through it, made me feel a little special, now i have my fretless and I dont let my pedal anywheer near the Broon Tune Paevey No Fret, it sounds much nicer clean, although i like it for the tangelwood, it can add a lil oomph, i quite like 'fuzzup' it is quite fun to play around with, although i normaly find myself plkugging out and playing clean and just altering my tone on the bass or amp as required. i find my basses have a good range of sound built into them, deep bassey growls, funky slapish (at least i am sure it will once i can do it properly) and nice cutting pickity sounds.

oh well, thats my opinion, p.s. how quickly did you figue out the jamplay function thing, it tok me and the guy in the music shop an age to get it to work, and now i dont ever use, it, except when i get bored during the night.

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    i figured it out after going thru the manual with a rocket scientist.....(no, honest).....

yeh, i use it when im working out harmonys and overs for using in the studio.....
    Heres a question...*** is that "scratch" facility for, sounds terible, and has NO use whatsoever!

10. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    i'm not entirely sure, i guess with the pedals price it would be aimed at folks with not muchos pesos and beginners and like Bass Player has cottonned onto the 'new breed' of bass players, it is trying to provide somehting that you can be a dj or Korn or soemhting on it, anyway, it makes a sound that sounds nothing like that wicki-wicki-wild thing that dj's can do,

what are you faviorite effects on it to use?

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    the synth, fuzz......er......synth summore!!
    and the fuzzup one, really, theres a HUGE amount of effects that are totally useless.....and a equal amount of brilliant ones......u can save over them with ure own patches tho, so it makes up for it ;)

12. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    woops, just forgot, the wah and the flange are VERY useful with the expression pedal.
    get that jamiroquai groove playing with a bit 'o' wah, and u will sound like god!

13. red-hot-bassist

red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    glasgow
    yeah i started footering about and making up my own effects and got this cool one going where with the pedal open you get this messed up animal howling screech sound, then depress the pedal and you get a rough little bassey thing that has bite with oyur fingers and even more growl with a ;pick.

the BFX is nice