1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I record directly from a large mixing board?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by stratovani, Oct 31, 2010.

1. A few days ago I picked up a Tascam US-144 recording interface, for recording my band's rehearsals. It's connected to a Dell Latitude D-620 laptop running WinXP. I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 as my DAW; I find Cubase LE5 to be a bit too complicated - Cakewalk is simpler and I'm more familiar with it. I recorded our Friday rehearsal with it, using two mics at first, then just one mic. The results were a but mixed, it was adequate for recording a rehearsal, but I was dissatisfied with the quality. I'm thinking of doing this - somehow running the mixer into the Tascam, hooking a couple of mics into it as well so I can record the drummer better, and running it as three tracks - one for the mixing board, and the other two for the drummer. Thing is, I'm not certain how to record the mixing board. Anyone have any advice on how to go about doing this?

2. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Depends on your board.
    If you have enough Aux'es free, you can use those to feed individual tracks or stereo submixes (for your drums, for example) to your interface's analog inputs.
    Some mixers have a dedicated matrix for this apart from aux'es.
    Some mixers have direct outs for each channel you can tap.

3. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Now that I see the TASCAM only has 2 line inputs, you'll have to send a stereo mix from the mixer via AUX, matrix, or Tape Out (whichever works for your situation), use the 2 mic inputs for the drums.