1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I record myself playing with a band and post it on a blog?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Chaddycakes, Mar 24, 2013.

1. So if record myself playing with a zoom H2 and I post it on my blog, and I don't get express written permission of everyone playing, can I get in legal trouble? I don't plan on selling those records. I was just hoping on getting more people to look at my personal website when I play with bands.

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    You're fine.

3. Legally, you do need everyones permission. Also, it makes you a better person if you at least give them a heads up.

Practically, you're fine. If you're not making money and/or the other guys can't prove that you're depriving them of thousands of dollars, then no one will care. Knock yourself out, but give everybody their proper credit.

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    No, you don't need everyone's permission in any State of which I'm aware. You are not trying to promote or sell anything, so no model release is required. I deal with model releases nearly every day, and that's the law as my attorney explained it to me. I've yet to be sued (after 28 years), so I'm probably safe.