Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I record thru my head w/o cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brewer9, Mar 16, 2001.

1. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I will be recording at a studio soon and am wondering if I need to bring my cabs. I have a Mesa Boogie 400+ head with a direct out. Can I just connect the DI to the recording board?

2. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    YES

3. Does the 400 have a speaker mute switch on the back? If it does, you should have no problem. If not, you need to have a load of some kind connected. You could burn up your amp otherwise.

4. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    If your amp head has a "line out" that would be the way to go, the line sends at 0dB, so you won't have to worry about frying something. Only problem is that without the cabs you won't be able to hear yourself, so, you had better be able to play the songs well. I have done this before and it works alright, never the less, even if I bring my cabs. I still send a line to the recorder, you will more than likely get a much better sound that way.

5. The 400+ is a tube amp, so unless it has a speaker mute/dummy load feature you need to have speakers hooked up. Check the manual or with Mesa. If you run a tube amp without a load on it you'll destroy it in about 30 seconds.

6. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    Sorry about that post I gave you, you may want to listen to the guys that have tube amps, I didn't make the connection that you had a tube, my bad, never personally played through one.

7. EXACTAMUNDO.............:D

8. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Thanks everybody! I'll check for a "Speaker Mute" button tonight. otherwise I guess I'm stuck having to lug my cab aorund.

9. If it's anything like the Buster, it will probably be on the back of the amp.

Just played my second show with the Buster combo, and damn it sounds good, even with the crap Mesa tubes. Can't wait to hear it after I retube it.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Get a little 1x10 to cart around with you. It's impediance will save your amp, and its speaker will act as a little monitor for ya... then you don't need your bigger cabs.

11. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i actually had the same question seeing
    as i'm going to do some recording too.
    but i dont have a tube amp.....i have a carvin r1000
    with a ground lift switch(what is a ground lift switch?)

12. No problem with a solid state amp!

13. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    To record directly from my head I just stick a quarter inch plug in my right ear and run it directly to the mixer. For stereo, I use a plug in each ear. Works great.

14. Bassr64

Bassr64

Feb 9, 2001
    N.E.Tx
    What about running from the pre-amp out on a tube amp to the recorder ? Will that cause an amp head to fry ?? I did this with a 72' Ampeg head.
    *biting my nails*

15. Could you simulate a speaker load by wiring an 8/4/whatever Ohm resistor across the speaker out? (ie a 1/4" plug with the resistor soldered to it) - or could this potentially fry the resistor too quickly?

16. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Can't you just turn the post amp volume down? I have a SS so I've never been faced with this situation. Hybrids can work without speakers I think. Preamp tubes work without speakers or elce there wouldn't be rackmount type tube preamps. About the ground lift thing, it lifts the ground signal from the XLR jack thus eliminating any ground loops from your amp and the gear it's feeding. Ground loops are when other devices ground signals interfere with your amps causing excess noise.

17. Nope - amps with a tube output section (even if the preamp is SS, like old MusicMan amps) need a load across them or else the output tranny will arc between the windings, causing it to blow.

How long one can run without a speaker before death I don't know - i've (accidentally) left tube heads on for hours without any problems - but other reckon sub 30 minutes without load will fry.

18. You could simulate a load with a resistor, but it would have to be very large or it would burn up practically instantly. It would need to be able to dissipate a lot of heat! Some tube amps don't even have master volumes, like SVTs for instance.

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    id bring my cabs with me any way, use the line out and mic the cabs.