Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I record with a Realist?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by BassGuyNL, Dec 17, 2001.

1. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    We are going to record at the home of one of my bandmates into a 16 track harddisk recorder. I don't think we will have many fancy recording gadgets available. Can I expect satisfactory results by plugging in my Realist into the recorder. Should I use a direct box, and would a Sadowsky outboard pre-amp also work as a direct box?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I've done it, for a rehearsal cd for reference. I wouldn't want it released. I often do two tracks , one with the pickup(s), and one with a mike, then blend them. If you go with the pickup, the results will be "satisfactory", and nothing more, IMHO. The Sadowsky should help somewhat.

3. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I agree with Marcus. You will definitely get a usable sound but not a lot of character. Lately when I've been in similar situations I've gone with the mic (for air/character) and the Realist (for definition) and blended them, usually favoring the mike unless it is a dense mix. I will say that the Realist does get a better direct sound than the Fishman I used to have IMHO.

4. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    If you don't have any other choice as blending mic and pick up I think that it helps to keep the bass kind of low in the mix, I had to di it one time with my Realistic and boosting a little bit the lows and really digging in plus keeping the bass not right in your face in the final mix seems to help, makes it sound a little bit more natural.

5. shinebass

shinebass

Dec 19, 2001
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    i've spent years recordung my double-bass using mic only. i have changed, so did my instruments, and some of the music i play. lately i am using both mic and direct for recording.
    but i have just recorded in the way you are describing. a home production with a portable HD recorder. i had no choice but to go only direct. i used a strunal plywood (which i happen to really like) through a realist and a sadowsky outboard. while it is far from a perfect sound, i am in no way embarrassed by the sound we got there. you will only need to spend some extra time getting your bass sound in the mixing session.

6. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    We did it! Indeed, if this was going to be a jazz recording with e.g. only piano and vocals, I would probably want to look for a good mike. However, this is my streetband (drums, guitar, bass, 2x sax and one tuba).The band sells CDs while performing on the street. For this purpose, I think the sound was fine. I recorded using the Realist only, through a Sadowsky outbard preamp. Turning up the bass gave a very boomy sound, so I only dialed in some treble (about 12 o'clock). I was pleasantly surprised that the sound was very much like my bass, very nice woody tone.

Thanks for the input and Merry Christmas!