1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I remove one speaker from a 410 cab and use 3?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshmmorrison, Sep 21, 2019.

1. joshmmorrison

joshmmorrison Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    EDIT: SOLUTION WAS A BAD TWEETER, NOT A SPEAKER. All is good. Keeping post for future people aakingathis question to neglect the search function answer not find.

Hi!

So I just bought a 410 cab. One of the speakers has a tear in the cone and I am ordering a replacement.

My question is whether or not I can remove it and use the three remaining if its underpowered? The head I'd be using for now is only 150W at 8ohm and the cab is an 8oh. 500W cab.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You can, but the results will be unpredictable, likely undesirable, and potentially dangerous for the remaining drivers.

A better approach would be to disconnect the wires and leave the driver in situ, but then you’d have to figure out how to wire three drivers for your amp....

The only good answer is replacing the driver, unfortunately.

nbsipics, nice_hat and joshmmorrison like this.
  3. joshmmorrison

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    What do you mean by disconnect and leave the driver in situ?

4. joshmmorrison

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Gotcha. Thanks!

5. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I have done this in the past with a Hartke cab. It stopped working altogether once I disconnected the damaged speaker. And yes, I only disconnected the damaged speaker.

6. NO!

You changed the tuning and pressure on the other speakers, they will now be bouncing around and can blow very easily.
    Remember bass speakers act as pistons working together, if one is off destruction is very possible even at low volume use.

Wait until it is fixed correctly with the exact matching speaker or the same result as mentioned above is very possible.

7. The electrical problem is that the 4 speakers are likely a series/parallel circuit using 8-ohm drivers...if you disconnect one speaker, you break the series part of the circuit. Depending on how it's wired, you lose the other speaker in the series pair, or you lose the whole circuit. IF--and only if--your head is capable of driving a 2-ohm load, you could parallel the 3 remaining speakers for a 2.7-ohm load. Or you could connect two of the drivers in parallel for a 4-ohm load as a temporary solution...again, presuming the amp is capable of driving that. Obviously, the only real solution is replacing the speaker.

Edit: Of course you have to leave the drivers in place to fill the holes, regardless of how many are actually hooked up.

rollie 55 likes this.
  8. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I did that once to a 410 cab I had. The funky sound coming from the cab really added to the music and the smoke from the amp was adding even more to the show.

bhendrix, TheReceder, JohnDL and 11 others like this.
  9. Still not good.
    The dead speaker is now a passive radiator and this changes the back pressure on the working ones and can easily cause damage.
    If these others are not damaged already from whatever event caused it to die.

10. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I wouldn't do it.

Maynjo, DJ Bebop, Balog and 10 others like this.
  11. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    For the record. In situ means in-place.

12. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I played an Acoustic cabinet at some studio in NYC. IT HAD A BADLY TORN UP SPEAKER. one of the best sounding cabinets I’ve heard. If the tear doesn’t affect the sound, leave it as is till you get the replacement.

bass-icly me and nbsipics like this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The Geezer Butler treatment.

bass-icly me likes this.
  14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    How bad is the tear?

Try patching it up with some sticky tape.

I've used window screen and white glue to hold together some surrounds and tears.

15. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Duct Tape.

16. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Besides all the comments above, the cabinet will no longer be 8 ohms if you remove one speaker. Depending on how it is wired, this could cause a problem with your amp. I wouldn't take the chance.

17. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Horrible sounds will ensue and your amp is likely to release the magic smoke rendering both amp and cab unusable. Fix it properly and carry on playing.

18. joshmmorrison

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
  19. joshmmorrison

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    And I love pyrotechnics as much as the next guy...but this is a no go...:bassist::hyper::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

FunkHead and Element Zero like this.
  20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Gazundheit.

Or is "Situ" Greek for fire extinguisher?

bass-icly me and ctmullins like this.