Can I remove saddle tension springs on my 4 string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Housefire, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Housefire

Housefire

Aug 22, 2018
    They are a pain in the ass (mostly E string spring). Ive tried many things to get them to stop buzzing. The E string and A make slight contact with them. It is driving me nuts. Any suggestions? I also made sure saddle screws were making contact with bridge plate...all good.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sure, it just makes it harder to move the saddles forwards towards the nut, but they're not absolutely necessary. I've found on some basses I have to remove or cut the spring on the E string to get it to be able to go far enough back to intonate properly.

Housefire likes this.
  3. Housefire

Housefire

Aug 22, 2018
    So it really only how easy/difficult it will be to intonate?

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Pull em off and stretch them out so they have tension on them when in place.

Housefire likes this.
  5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

None. None more easy or difficult.

Housefire likes this.
  6. Housefire

Housefire

Aug 22, 2018
    Ok Ill give it a shot. Will this still work even though the string is touching it?

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, you can take out the intonation screw springs if they are buzzing and bothering you. The only "danger" is that the intonation screws may loosen up and fall out from vibration. Watch out for that.

You can also replace the springs with small pieces of silicone rubber tubing. They will act like springs, keep the strews from vibrating loose, and not buzz.

ELynx, Lofreck and Housefire like this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021