1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can i replace my epiphone thunderbird pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nickname, Jan 19, 2006.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    can i replace my epiphone thunderbird pickups? is it worth it? which ones would you recommend? i like a higher tone sound. nice and clean. the current produce a low sound.

2. i emailed epiphone support about this once, didn't really find out anything though. they just said they recommend keeping the stock pickups in there and the only way to get gibson t-bird pickups is by buying the gibson t-bird yourself, thats the only pickups i could think of that you could upgrade the t-bird with. and i think they said something about maybe having to make adjustments to your bass if you did find after-market HB's on a t-bird, but that didnt surprise me. so i guess you can, but you cant...at the same time, i've never seen any after-market pickups for a T-bird, but if you cant find some, i dont see why not

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Do some routing and throw in MM humbuckers? :p

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    anywhere on the web where i can find a guide to do that?

5. Bartolini has a Thunderbird pickup replacement.

And I tihk the EMG 35's or 40 (as wel as the Bartolini versions) can fit in it, probably with a bit of routing done (no biggie though).

Or if you dont want to do that, I highly suggest getting a Bartolini or Aguilar pre amp.

I personally can just EQ out the ultra lows from my Gibby by rolling off the neck pickup a bit and messing with my amp.

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    routing will allow for many more options, but dramatically decrease resale value...