can i replace my epiphone thunderbird pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nickname, Jan 19, 2006.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    can i replace my epiphone thunderbird pickups? is it worth it? which ones would you recommend? i like a higher tone sound. nice and clean. the current produce a low sound.
  2. i emailed epiphone support about this once, didn't really find out anything though. they just said they recommend keeping the stock pickups in there and the only way to get gibson t-bird pickups is by buying the gibson t-bird yourself, thats the only pickups i could think of that you could upgrade the t-bird with. and i think they said something about maybe having to make adjustments to your bass if you did find after-market HB's on a t-bird, but that didnt surprise me. so i guess you can, but you the same time, i've never seen any after-market pickups for a T-bird, but if you cant find some, i dont see why not
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Do some routing and throw in MM humbuckers? :p
  4. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    anywhere on the web where i can find a guide to do that?
  5. Bartolini has a Thunderbird pickup replacement.

And I tihk the EMG 35's or 40 (as wel as the Bartolini versions) can fit in it, probably with a bit of routing done (no biggie though).

Or if you dont want to do that, I highly suggest getting a Bartolini or Aguilar pre amp.

I personally can just EQ out the ultra lows from my Gibby by rolling off the neck pickup a bit and messing with my amp.
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    routing will allow for many more options, but dramatically decrease resale value...