Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can I rid myself of this annoying windows XP feature?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Ok, I suppose it's practical for some people, but it really annoys me. When you've got several of the same program open, say I have 3 firefox windows, the tabs on the start bar automatically group themselves together. I'd much rather have them stay separated, but there's no option in the right click menu that allows that. Is there some way I can change the settings so that all my windows will stay independent of eachother?

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    It's been like that with all versions of Windows I believe. I don't know if you can get rid of it, but why would you want to? It helps organise your bottom bar better, and if you just click one of the programs on the bottom, it'll show you all the windows that are open for that program.
    -Alex

3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    right click on the taskbar.

properties. un-check "group similar taskbar buttons"

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Great, thanks. I know it's good to keep clutter down, but I like to be able to glance and see what I have open rather than just seeing "4 firefox." I expand the start bar to two rows anyway so it works fine even if I have a lot open.

5. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    But, but, but, you should be using tabbed browsing in your Firefox, with only one window in the task bar.....:eek:

It's one of the coolest features in using Firefox...:hyper:

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    +1 on tabbed browsing.

BUT

Since we're fixing XP niggles, I've got one - how do I get rid of those dang balloons that always pop up regarding various functions that are occurring in my task list? I'm am well aware that there is not a wireless connection conneted - I don't need the balloons popping up all the time telling me so!

7. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    go to windows explorer. click on tools in menu -> folder options -> view -> untick 'show popup description for folders and desktop items'.

8. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    +1 on tabbed.... everything. tabbing browsing, explorer, im's... anything that can be tabbed is better tabbed ;)

Speaking of annoying windows features, how do I get rid of the start button in XP? I used to use a little program called Hook99 in 2000, but it doesn't work on XP.

Sorry for the derail...

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Close! I actually like those popup windows. The ones I am talking about, though, come up from the items in the system tray that are currently running. You know, the area where your volume control is always shown, in the bottom right corner of the screen.

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm old-school so I like seperate windows. I use alt-tab way too much in my everyday use.

11. AspiringBassMan

AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    UK
    oh them! i see. which ones in particular?

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The ones that tell me my internet connectivity or lack thereof (I'm well aware of it!) and the one that tells me my virus software needs to be updated.

13. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Here's one... how can I get my full control panel to show up instead of the dumbed down kiddie version? I knew how to do it once, but it has completely escaped me now.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    In Control Panel, go to Tools-> Folder Options. Then click "Show Common Tasks in Folders". This will bring up the side bar in your control panel window. Click "Switch to Classic View". :cool:

This is assuming you are running XP. If you want to go back, it is "Switch to Category View".

15. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    While we're at it, I changed an attribute of one of my files to make it hidden, but I don't know how to undo that. It's like, uh.... like it's not there :smug:

16. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    If you're using a trail version of XP, you can shut down XP in Standby or Hibernate, allowing you to use XP well past it's trail period.

Windows for nothing!

17. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    To disable XP's balloon tips, perform the following steps:

1. Start the registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
    2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ExplorerAdvanced.
    3. From the Edit menu, select New - String value.
    4. Enter a name of EnableBalloonTips, and press Enter.
    5. Double-click the new value, set it to 0, and click OK.
    6. Close the registry editor.

or if editing the registry is too freaky... download tweakui from the microsoft powertoyz collection (select Uncheck Enable balloon tips)

18. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Open the folder that contains the file in question.
    Go to the "Tools" menu on the top, select "Folder Options"
    Change the tab to "View"

There should be a listing for "Hidden Files and Folders" - Select "Show Hidden Files and Folders".

Click Ok.

Hidden files in that folder should now be visible (note: it is also possible to do this for ALL your files and folders)

Right Click on the file
    Select "Properties"
    Make sure the "General" tab is selected
    uncheck the "hidden" checkbox and click ok

No longer hidden.

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks for this! I'll have to try this tonight. :)