Can I run 2 cabs from 1 Ampeg SVT head...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nebula, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Nebula

Nov 16, 2004
    I've got an Ampeg SVT AV 300w head. Right now, I'm powering a ampeg 8x10 cab. I'm toying with the idea of adding a 2x15 cab into the mix. I know most of you might be thinking this is excessive, personal preferences aside, can it be done?
    Thanks for your help.
  2. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I you have an extra 1/4 inch plug in the 1st cab, just connect a 1/4 inch cable from the 1st to the 2nd cab. This means though that the impedance is halved by doing so.

Cab 1 = 8 ohms
    Cab 2 = 8 ohms
    Result = 4 ohms

Cab 1 = 4 ohms
    Cab 2 = 4 ohms
    Result = 2 ohms (Possibly too low impedance for some amps)
  3. Your head will run at 2 ohms. Thus the answer is yes. A 4ohm 2x15, and a 4ohm 8x10 will run in parallel down to 2 ohms. Your wattage however is not incereased.... The SVT AV is 300 watts at 4 and 2 ohms.
  4. Nebula

Nov 16, 2004
    My Ampeg 8x10 is a 4ohm cab.
    So, the other cab should be a 4ohm as well. Right?
    Thanks a bunch guys!
    You Rock!
  5. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Just be sure to set the impedence switch on the back of the head to 2 ohms when you're using both cabs.
  6. Nebula

Nov 16, 2004
    Thanks for your help guys. I think I got the cab situation under control. How about speakers? Anybody know who makes some serious 15s? Any preferences?
  7. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I've got the same head (which is going to be run through an Aguilar 2x12 in a week) and really enjoy it. As for 2x15s, see if you can locate the Bergantino NV215, vintage flavor in a modern package.
  8. Nebula

Nov 16, 2004
    Never heard of them. Sound pricey. I've been lookin' at some Eminence 15's. Sound pretty good and the price seems resonable. Thank's for the tip though.
  9. An SVT-Classic through an Ampeg 8x10 + 2x15 should sound damn nice!!

You don't happen to play in the stoner band, Nebula, don't you?
  10. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    That's gonna be freakin INSANE loud I think. What type of venues are you playing? I'd like to hear a set-up like that, it's gotta rattle the bowels just a
  11. I was toying with the idea of an ampeg classic, an 810, and a 215...but then again I dont like the thought of moving the 810, let alone another fridge...