1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can i run 2 seperate head/cabs somehow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by C5DEMON, Jan 7, 2012.

1. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    I play ERB's and I'm wanting to be able to run my SVT350 & 4x10HLF for my lows and my Markbass LMII, 2x10 & 1x15 for my mids & highs. Is there some way that i can achieve this? I've always used just 1 head/stack setup, but I'm on the never-ending quest for that perfect tone. Thanks for any help. I know someone's gonna ask "why use a 15 for mids and highs" the reason is, my ampeg pulls out way better lows than my markbass but it is a muddier sound and my markbass stuff has better clarity. Any ideas or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ross

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, get an active (or transformer-isolated) splitter box. On the cheap you can use a Boss LS-2, or a stereo chorus pedal with the chorus effect turned off. Some people just use a passive Y cable or ABY box, but that can cause problems in some specific cases.

3. 335guy

335guy

Sep 3, 2011
    Without using a electronic crossover, you will need to eq each amp head to produce the freq you want. The built in eq,s should get you in the ball park. The are ABY boxes and I use one for splitting my guitar signal to go to a couple of separate amps. No reason this would not work for a bass.

4. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    What are some good quality and reliable splitter box companies? I've learned to not go cheap cuz i'll just end-up buying the good one eventually ha ha And i was wanting to eq the heads seperately so that i can really dial in the right tone, so that'll be perfect. Thanks guys

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Radial, Lehle, and [sfx] are among the best.

6. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    Also, will these boxes allow both amps to operate at the same time? or are they just for switching between the two? Thanks

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Using a 2x10 plus a 1x15 for mids and highs is really not a great idea. Both are full range cabinets as is your 4x10. For mids and highs a six inch driver makes more sense.

8. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    As stated in the original post... the 4x10HLF produces much better lows than the Markbass. My ampeg has a much darker tone, and the markbass produces better fullrange and way better mids and highs. The ampeg , frankly, sucks for clarity and will be my low end amp. This is for solo bass gigs and I'm sure i'm going to play around with different combinations but this is how i want to set it up for now.

9. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

As stated, you just need a good ABY.

The Radial Bigshot ABY is my choice- as it's completely passive (no batteries).... plug your bass in the input, and your amps into the outputs and put it in Y mode so both amps are active. EQ out the bass in your one amp, your highs in the other and voila!

10. C5DEMON

C5DEMON

Mar 20, 2011
    Clovis, NM
    I got my answer. Thanks for the info guys

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Check out Lehle. They make an assortment of top notch boxes- and one of them will be ideal for you.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    To do this right you need to use a crossover. Run the low side to your ampeg rig and the high side to the markbass. I'd just run the 210 only on the high side, or whichever speaker is the brightest, best representation of mids and highs. It doesn't take that much speaker or power to carry mids and highs like it does lows. You'll only need one cab up there and probably still have the volume not that far up to balance with the low side.

13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    The other problem you might encounter is the the signals received by the cabinets are polarity reversed. This will mean that the cabinets will subtract from your sound and not add.

14. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    FEA Dual Band comp would be great for this. Adjustable crossover and outputs for both bands. I always thought it would be fun to play around with this sort of setup just to screw around. Never did it though, just sold that pedal a few days ago.

15. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I always use 2 amps linked via the split output of a BOSS chorus pedal.