Can I run a different Preamp into my SM900?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Akito, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Just curious if anyone here has any tips or advice on running a bass-preamp-SWR SM900 configuration. The SM 900 doesn't have a peamp in, so am I alright just running the bass into the preamp then into the active input of the SM900?
    Anything I need to be careful about when trying this?
    Thanks for any info!
    If you see a mushroom cloud over Memphis, you'll know I messed up- badly!
  2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Is there an effects send/return? I wonder if that wouldn't work.

Alternatively, go to the SWR site and see if they have a tech support email address?

Curious to see what others post.
  3. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    You mean run out of the effects send on the pre? Yeah it has one. I read through my SM 900 manual and there are no suggestions for this, but it does mention if you want to use a preamp to overdrive the 1st tube stage, you sould go into the passive instrument input, so I guess it's not unthinkable.
  4. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It should work just fine if you take the preamp
    out into the effects return jack. That way you
    bypass the swr preamp but still use the swr
    master volume. When you try it, make sure that
    the master volume is off or very low to begin with.
  5. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Ok thanks, seems like that was the way to go. I ran from the preamp out into the mono effects return and it worked out fine. Cool thing is with the effects blend knob I can switch from the swr pre to the ampeg pre by just rotating the blend.
    It takes a splitter to run the bass signal to both pre's but no prob there. Thanks for the help!
  6. Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I use that same setup
    And a A/B box out front to switch between the 2 different pre-amps (SWR+Trace)

Robert VanLane
  7. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Cool, think I am going to try running my rig that way and see what I can get. I'm using the ampeg for the low down tube sound and the "drive" control adds grit for some rock material that my SWR never thought about providing. The SWR has that slap thing going though and really is the sound I love.
    I'm going to try it with a band tonight.
  8. I disagree. I run my EQ on the bass to full boost and put the input into the high gain, therefore hitting the tube pretty hard. The preamp clip light will light occasionally and all knobs including Gain, Aural Enhancer & Limiter set to 12 o'clock and there's enough grit and balls to drive a rock band.

But if the Ampeg gives you more of what you want, go for it. It sounds like your setup is ideal.
  9. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    I might try that as well and see what it sounds like. My basses have always had such a hot signal that I needed to go into the active input to get a more controllable sound. I play with a Modulus as well so it can have a bit to much "clank" when using the passive input. The best bass I have owned for the SWR was my Benavente because it has a passive switch that just gets a killer tone. After years of playing Modulus basses it was nice to have that option.
  10. go preamp out to fx return, then just plug your bass into the preamp. that way you will only be using the power section of the SWR.

if you want to get fancier and be able to plug into the swr and switch back and forth between it and the other pre without having to chang where you are pluged into then. go from the tuner out on the SWR to the input on the preamp and then from the output on the preamp to the fx return on the swr.

I do this with a Sansamp RBI into a SM-500 and it works great.