Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i run a smaller combo amped?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nunk6, Oct 19, 2000.

1. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    hey i've got a 220W stack now but i'm actually thinking about getting an ampeg 115 combo 100W to play through and mike for performances and practice for that matter; is this going to hurt my sound or tone or otherwise?!
    i really prefer a smaller combo for transport and i think that the combo have much more punch and 'compression' to them....

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    i have the ba-112 [12"x50watts] and throught the PA it sounds great for me. i use the line-out instead of a mic.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I've no experience with miking, but using the DI-out works perfectly for me. I think for bass it's the better solution. (For guitar miking is not just better, it's the only way, but obviously bass and guitar amplification is very different in this respect)

In many cases you have to be happy when you get a decent bass sound out front anyway (fighting against boominess and such) and I guess miking makes the whole thing even more difficult.

Another point: when using a PA, stage volume should IMO not be louder than what you are used to in your rehearsal room (even lower when you want to become friends with the sound man ;)). So when the 100W combo is sufficient for rehearsals it will also be for gigs.
    When there is no PA, things get different, though... (that's why I have a little combo AND a 400W rig)

Just my 0.2$
    Matthias