1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I run battery and AC at the same time?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tnavis, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Stupid question, possibly. I switch out pedals all the time from my main board to use when I only need one or two, for example just grabbing the tuner for jazz gigs, etc.

Anywho, I recently realized I left the 9V in my korg dt-10 while it was plugged in to the AC adaptor. Does this cause any sort of problems?

What can I say, I'm an effects noob.

2. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    No problems. The AC will bypass the battery. The nice thing about having the battery in there is that if there is any problem with the AC supply, some pedals will run off of the battery instead.

Some pedals, however, bypass the battery whenever an AC jack is plugged in, so there's really no advantage to having a battery in there.

But no, that shouldn't cause any problems whatsover with your pedals. Heck, I do it all the time. You will, however, want to pull the batteries out if you're planning to use the pedals hooked up to AC for a long time... but that's mainly due to battery corrosion and things like that.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to Dker.

4. Of course there's an advantage! When you're wall wart fails all you need to do to get going again is yank out the DC connector and you're away. Or, on those odd occassions when the crowd takes it apon themselves to mess with your equipment, if they yank out the DC connector nothing goes awry.

5. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, leave them in there, just in case. But, make sure you run them on the battery every few weeks. I say this from experience. I just had a battery blow up in a pedal. No harm done. But it could have been a disaster.

6. That sounds like either a faulty DC connector causing DC to be fed to a non-rechargeable battery, or the battery had been in there for a bloody long time and just began to leak.

7. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    This is true. Just make sure that you actually change the batteries periodically. I had a battery in my wah that I forgot about for a long time (I exclusively use my pedalboard anymore), and it leaked all over the inside of the pedal.

Gross.

8. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    No, there is nothing wrong with the pedal. Batteries will explode if they are left unused in anything (cameras, pedals, kid's toys). That is why I have taken them out of my pedals. There is too much risk for a little peace of mind.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I generally leave batteries in, they will be bypassed when plugged in, but on an occasion that I do not have access to a power strip near where my pedalboard will be, run off batteries.

I know for a fact that Flea does this, if there aren't many pedals it's fairly easy to run off of batteries.

10. Batteries don't just "explode" for no reason. They leak, yes, but they don't explode!

11. As a rule of thumb I always have extra batteries at gigs, but not ever in my pedals. Its usually a DC power supply problem failing that causes the problems. My experiance at least.

and +1 to nifty. batteries dont just explode. they are mistreated or left unused and they leak. 9V batteries are know to leak.

12. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, explosion is a bit of an overstatement. Leakage...:meh: