1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I run TI Flats through the body of my G & l 2500

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by engedi1, Jul 19, 2007.

1. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I have heard that Flats are not supposed to be ran through the body. However, I really want to do this for tone and sustain on my G & L 2500. Can I do this without damaging the strings? Has anyone else out there had TI flats on their l2500?

2. Hotblack

Hotblack Pay the cost to be the boss. Supporting Member

May 20, 2002
    Provided content for Genzler Amplification
    I did it. I had to take some of the red wrapping off the low B, but it went through, and I've had it a few weeks without any problems yet.

3. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Can you tell a difference in tone from going through the bridge?

4. Hotblack

May 20, 2002
    Truth be told, on both of my G&L's I've only strung through the body, so I don't know what they sound like when strung through bridge.

5. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Thanks for the tip. When my G and L is ready to go I'll get the TI's on there an let you know how they work out...

6. Hotblack

May 20, 2002
    Remember, they're going to twang a little at first. Give them time to break in. I've had mine a few weeks, and the sound is mellowing more each day and becoming richer and rounder. Take a little time before you pass judgment.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I use TI flats on all my basses. I have no problem running them through the body. I don't notice any difference either way though.

On some basses the JF344s are just a little too short so you have to remove a slight bit of the wrapping at the nut. This also is the case with my Ibanez Artcore which is not set up for string through. Anyhow, it's no problem taking that little bit off. It's only on the E string on my Artcore. My Carvin Bolt, which is string through, does not have this problem because the ferrules are deeper than most other basses. I had a Stingray from 1990 that I modified for string through. I didn't notice any difference in sustain or tone.

I've had absolutely no problems with strings breaking because of them being string through.

8. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I just put TI Flats on my Sadowsky 5 and fell immediately in love with them as did the guys in band. My lead singer went ape over them, as I can play with more dynamics and a warmer tone then before. Since they are the bomb on my Sad, I thought I would try them on my new (to me) Fretless G & L...

9. Is the Sad a 34" or 35"? I wondered if the silk winding would clear a 35"

10. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    My Sad is 34 inch scale. Sadowksy refuses to make 35 inch scale basses as his tone depends on the 34 inch scale. I have owned other great 35 inch scale basses (Modulus, Lakland) and I find that I agree. The B string on the Sadowsky is not as thunderous as the others, but it is more musical, and useful for everyday position playing IMHO. This is enhanced even more with the TI Flat B string which gives punch and thump without overwhelming. Can't tell you how much I am loving TI Flats on the Sadowsky. They cut through my band much much better than this bass did with Dr's or Labella Steels or Sadowsky steels. For rock with fingers or pick, I can't recommend them enough...