1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I safely run this amp like this...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jcburn, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Looking at picking up this old Marshall BBS 7200. Only 200 watts, but with the gain and volume at these settings it's loud enough for the gigs I will do. Will this be safe, seeing as the gain and volume are cranked fairly high?
    I love the sound of the amp, but for a little while it will be my ONLY amp with no back up.

Attached Files:

2. You won't be asking more than it was designed to deliver but heat kills all amps eventually.

3. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    Knob settings dont really mean alot. some amps can achieve full power at lower settings and some need to be cranked. If your speaker seems to handle it you should be fine. If you need to go louder and are worried about your speakers farting out just add a little comression and drop that lowest eq slider. That lowest frequency is what robs all your power and volume and is the one that blows speakers. As far as the head goes i wouldnt worry about how high your gain is unless its distorting.

4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    If you are worried about heat, open it up and hoover it out, especially the heat sink.

5. Yeah Its heat that Im primarily concerned about. Speakers cope fine.