1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I shorten the peg?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by 9Thumbs, May 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM.

Tags:
  1. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I have a Thompson plywood bass. The peg is about 18 inches long. I set it up with about 4 inches out of the bass. The socket takes 3 3/4 inches. Some times the peg vibrates when I hit a C on the A string, sometimes it doesn't. Is there any reason that I shouldn't lop 8 inches off the top of the peg?

Thanks

2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Go ahead. If it's a steel endpin getting rid of some of the mass/weight will help the bass open up

3. dhm

dhm

Apr 15, 2007
    brooklyn,ny
    I had the same problem with my endpin. My friend( and great bass player) cut about 9 inches off it. No more rattle! This pin has been on 2 basses since then...

4. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Cool. Gonna break out the hack saw, then grind the end smooth. Thanks

5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Yes. I had a similar issue on my plywood bass. Any octave of A caused the endpin to reverberate a bit. My luthier took off an inch or so and the reverberation ceased.

6. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I lopped off 8 inches. Sounds good so far.

7. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I recently replaced the 1/2" diameter stock steel pin on my ply M1 Engelhardt for a 1/2" timbale stick, but I left stock the metal endpin plug in place. A guitarist I play with said it sounded louder. It doesn't rattle at all, but I'm not sure I notice any other difference. I am also going to try to a couple more tricks taken from Traeger: replace the stock sound post with a hardwood one made from an appropriate diameter drum stick and round the ends similar to the butt end of drum sticks, including using his krazy glue trick on the ends, and install .008" mil Teflon pads under the feet of the bridge.

Last edited: May 14, 2019 at 11:33 AM
  8. I have a Thompson RM200 hybrid that had the exact same sympathetic endpin vibration when the A string was stopped at the C To C#, especially when bowed. I cut off about 6” of the steel which has helped. That endpin is crazy long at 18”!

Another improvement for me was to switch out the stock rubber tip with a Wolf ball end tip.

Ultimately I wonder if I’ll replace it with a carbon fiber endpin.

9. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    jleguy: could you please expand on the Teflon pads under the bridge feet? Never heard of that one. Thanks!

10. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    In Traeger's books on setting up upright basses he specifically talks about Kay or laminate bass and how to improve their sound. Traeger was good friends with Ron Carter and Traeger worked on his basses routinely. Traeger recounts in his book a time when Carter came into his shop with a fellow that suggested the use of .008" mil Teflon pads under the feet of the bridge to enhance the sound of the bass. To Traeger's surprise the pads added warmth and volume compared to no pads on Ron's bass. The theory is that the pads allow the bridge to vibrate more freely, or at least in a better fashion for more volume and better sound quality. Traeger recommends this among other things to specifically improve the sound on laminate basses . He notes however that on carved basses the effect can be variable and dropped using it there. I bought a sheet of Teflon at .008" mil off of ebay recently cheap, and I plan to do this on my Engelhardt and my Alcoa. We shall see what it does if anything.

VictorW126 likes this.
  11. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks very much. That's very interesting.

12. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I recommend at least two of Traeger's books that are not very expensive: String Instrument Setups: 10 Setups that will make your instrument louder, better, etc. and Coda. His first book is close to $100 and you get a lot out of these two. But caveat emptor, some of his techniques are not without controversy...

13. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So I've heard :)... Thanks

jleguy likes this.
  14. jleguy

jleguy Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
  15. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Fascinating, as Mr Spock used to say. Thanks

jleguy likes this.
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My endpin was resonating with some notes, so I knocked a couple inches off with a hacksaw. Problem gone. I will never be 7 feet tall. ;)

Fretless55 and Stumbo like this.
  17. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Don't give up hope!

fdeck likes this.