1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I (should I) do this ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gman, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a G&L SB-1 that I love the feel of, but here lately I've been wishing I had more of a Jazz bass tone. For those not familiar, the SB-1 has a P pickup.

Well, I was just looking at a BassPlayer mag, and was looking at the Stu Hamm Urge II, with the P bass and jazz pickups. Would I be crazy to even try to put Jazz pups in addition to the P pickup ?

Looks to me like there is room for 'em. Any thoughts ?

Dave

2. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Sounds like something I'd do.....go for it. Things can only get better.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I have (for the time being - until the payment arrives or I decide the person has flaked out and find another buyer) an SB-1 as well. The one thing that looks different to me about the Urge is that the P-pickup looks like it is farther towards the bridge than the P-pickup on a standard P-bass. I had always thought (not necessarily correctly) that he P and the J neck pickups were pretty much in the same spot.

You might want to try just adding the J bridge pickup first and see if that gives you enough J character. Just a thought.

4. why not just get an SB-2?

I think it would be easier to do that than routing a new pickup hole, installing a new pickup and then having the value go down along with it.

The SB-2 is a great bass, and I think the addition of the J pickup does a lot for it.

Chuck

5. I agree. The SB-2 sounds really close to a Jazz with the addition of the second pickup. It seems the SB-2 bridge pickup is EQ'd to account for the other pickup being a P instead of another J, consequently it seems to sound more like a Jazz bass than most P/J setups.

I wonder if you could talk G&L into selling you a SB-2 bridge pickup. They don't sell certain parts, but I know they sell their Legacy Strat style guitar pickups separately.

If you want to get close to a Jazz Bass tone from the G&L, I think your best bet is to have that other G&L pickup.

6. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    All good points. Thanks for the input.

I have had an SB-2 in the past. If I remember correctly, it was a #6 neck, and just didn't fit my hand very well. This SB-1 fits alot better.

I have been looking around for an SB-2. I'll get another one if I can find a good used one. Maybe I'd be better of to just leave it alone.

Thanks for the input.

Dave