Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can i solder one volume knob to work with both pickups w/o doing any damage???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 23, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a geddy lee jazz bass which has a seperate volume control for each pickup. Now dont get me wrong i love my bass, but i hate having two seperate volume knobs. My band's guitarist always cranks it for "Roadhouse Blues" so then i have to turn up as well, then turn down again. I would prefer to do so on my bass rather than amp.

i always have both pickup vol. at ten as i like the sound of both pickups maxed.

so the question is, w/o spend alot of money, or any money, can i solder one volume knob to work with both pickups w/o doing any damage?

2. No, you can't. You would need additional electronics and/or a dual potentiameter. Just put a rubber band around the volume knobs so that when you turn one, it rotates the other as well. :D

- Dave

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    put a rubber band around the volume knobs so that when you turn one, it rotates the other as well. :D

- Dave[/QUOTE]

That's what i'd do.

4. Couldn't he wire the pickups in parallel / series, and then use just one pot as the master volume?

Wrong forum btw... I think.

5. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Why can't you have a passive blend with a master volume?

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    +1 It's the same # of knobs, but one controls the balance between the 2 pickups (in the middle would be equal amounts of each pickup.) and the other controls the volume of the signal coming from that.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    How do i go about doing that? Is there a website that shows how to do such wiring jobs?

If it will actually work, that is. :)

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  10. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    ooooh, i could use this! would it work with active EMG P/J set?

11. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    thats what i have on my spector a blend knob that both pickups are wired to and a master volume off of this... works great that way...

lowendgod

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You would need 25K vol/blend pots instead of the 250k most passive wiring diagrams show. Apart from that, the wiring is the same.
    And just to clear up any potential confusion: you can have active pickups and passive wiring.

13. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    thanks! i dont' suppose they have these pots in a radio shack? where could i get 'em?

and i never (and probably never will) understand the whole active this but what a passive that thing.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    guitarelectronics.com
    stewmac.com
    places like that will have 25K volume / blend pots

15. My suggestion is the master volume/master blend setup. My Jazz is setup that way.

16. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i've got my MM jazz wired: s/p toggle-single vol-preamp and have had no problems, but with it set in series the low E(or D in my case) sounds way too loud and boomy(much louder than the other strings) so i'm gonna remove the switch and just have it hard wired parallel to the single volume knob, or even just bypass the vol knob and go straight into the pre and use a vol pedal if i ever need it.
    but i'm not 100% sure if you'd need a different vol pot to have both hard-wired to the same one w/o a switch. right now, mine's wired up to the stock 250k pot with the switch and haven't had anything bad happen, so again, i'm not sure if removing the switch would necessitate changing volume pots for it to work properly.

17. lowendgod

lowendgod

Feb 25, 2004
    Yakima, WA.
    i got all of my parts from mike lull over in seattle, awesome guy to talk and deal with...

http://www.mikelull.com/welcome%20frames.htm

lowendgod

18. Yes, master volume and blend pot will work just fine, as mentioned all you need is some new pots which are cheap, and some minor soldering work.

Very easy and just fine to do ;)

19. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Since we're on the subject, are there any disadvantages to using Volume/Blend over Volume/Volume?

I've been thinking about changing the setup in my Mike Lull bass from 2 volumes to volume/blend, but before I try it I would just like to know that I won't be sacrificing anything. :)

Also, if I wanted to add a switch in the future for running the pickups in series, is there any way I could make the switch bypass the blend pot? I remember someone saying that on a Vol/Blend bass running in series, the blend would have to be fully clockwise for it to work right, so I was just wondering if it would be possible to avoid that.

20. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN