Can i still get that "Deep,wide,felt" tone with a pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Vacume, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    I play in a metal band and I first played with 2 fingers but the riffs are getting faster so I started playing with 3 fingers and im getting pretty good, but I have a much easier time keeping up with a pick. But the deep tone that you kind of feel more then hear is a big part of our sound and I heard with the pick u are "heard more" but with fingers you are "felt" more. So can i still get the tone I want from a pick?
  2. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    That's funny... at first I thought you were going to say something about a plectrum made of the material "felt". 'Cause they use those on, like, autoharps or something. Maybe one of those would be more similar to fingers, though...
  3. Why don´t you try playing with your fingers closer to the bridge, there the strings don´t vibrate to much and you can play faster. I have a metal band too, and that´s what I do.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    So did I. I have used a felt pick. It is somewhere between fingers and a hard pick in sound. However, it would probably be slower than both since the felt seems to slow you down.
  5. Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    Well i dont think i could play much closer to the bridge, when i play with 3 fingers my ring finger is about 10 cm away from the bridge, if i went any closer I wouldnt have anywhere to put my thumb because i rest it on the pick up
  6. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL

you're picking hand rests on the nut?
  7. emor

May 16, 2004
  8. Nico3535

Mar 8, 2006
    As far as metal goes i like the tone you get when you have new strings and play with a pick. I use to play in a metal band and played with my fingers and my sound was so round and thick you could feel it but it got lost in the mix (unless pete was doing our sound). Also one thing that helped my friend who play in a Phish (mike gordon, bass player for phish plays with a pick) cover band was gettinga bbe sonic maximizer, it thickened up his tone very well. Scoop the mids away i say as well!
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's why you where getting lost in the mix. With a pick you might get away with scooped mids; with fingers you won't. Period.

Guitars can get away with scooped mids because of the higher frequencies involved. Too much low end just adds mud and sucks up all the power from the amp. Bassists live and die by their mids.