1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I Swiss cheese my cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jontom, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    The speakers(4x10) are farting out at higher volumes and was wondering if I add air holes(be it ports or vents), would it lessen that effect? I don't really have room for traditional ports or a bottom vent in the front baffle, but I do have room to make a few 2"-3" holes...

Yes, I'm overpowering the cab- but I need clean volume out of this cabinet.

No- I can't afford a different one or other speakers.
    Thanks!

2. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    You're better off saving up for a new cab that ruining this one. What cab-amp combination are you running? What are the settings on your amp?

3. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Can you? yes.
    Would I ? No.
    What you'll then have is a cabinet that will fart out with holes in it.
    Me thinks there be other ways to fix the farting, but then again, I don't know what you're working with,
    so I have no details to go on.

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I need to address this specific cab and make it the best it can be.
    Its a 4x10 Frankenstein with a 1000 watts of QSC power...
    set on "LOUD".

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Still not enough specific info, seeing as how I have no knowledge of what drivers you have, what the internal volume of the cab is,
    putting holes may not make it "the best it can be or the worst it can be".

This would be alot like saying," I have this bass, that has these strings on it and then 3 knobs that go left to right.

Trying not to come off rude, Jontom, but you descriptions are very vague and I cannot help you very much, unless
    there are some details in there.

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    A correctly tuned port could help a little. Random holes will definitely not help. The best solution is to turn your amp down.

Alex

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A specific reply requires specific information, starting with the drivers used and the cabinet net volume. As for making a cab the best it can be, that process starts when one designs the cabinet and chooses the drivers to be used in it.

8. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    with little information, i would venture that cutting holes (especially random ones) will make the cab MORE prone to farting out whilst being overpowered, as you said you are doing. above advice to replace the cab with something more appropriate seems like sound advice, no pun intended.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You need to add more drivers IE another cab. That's the best way to get more volume since you already have 1000w which is plenty.

10. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Thanks everyone.
    The cabinet has separate internal cabinets for each speaker...
    I think I'm going to get those out of there, cut a new front baffle(possibly for three 10's and horn, or a 15 with horn)and tune a slot port on the bottom.

11. Umm, how is it that taking away a ten inch driver is going to increase the amount of clean volume you can get. You need more drivers, not less. Pay attention to the responses above and give us some real info, what are the dimensions of the box, what kind of drivers are in there, etc.

Conversely, just do whatever the f you want, which it seems like you're going to do anyways.

12. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    I know that talkbass is the land of ever flowing GAS but I think the reality for many (dissatisfied) guys is that we get chained to our gear and it clouds our judgment and even muddies the big picture.

Trying to make what you have do something it cant, wont, or shouldnt, as this may be the case, seems like the right way to go about solving your "problem", since you already have the cab. However, and I speak from experience here, ditching your gear and starting fresh with a set of goals- what exactly are you trying to achieve as an outcome and not a process of getting there- can be VERy liberating and very rewarding.

If the cab isnt cutting it sell it and some other @%$#@% sitting in your closet/basement/attic. create a pool of funds and use it to buy and flip gear that will more aptly meet your goals.

CL, TB classifieds, and ebay are all viable solutions, especially considering the economic difficulties some are having.

I was having trouble scraping together the scratch to buy some stuff I wanted, so instead of playing add-on and make-do, I sold off nearly everything and started fresh. Several cabs and basses later, I am still in the process but I have not only learned a lot and had fun, but in the process I have also made some money (to be used for more gear !).

Bottom line- Sell your cab or part it out and buy something suitable, or sell other stuff and add to it.

13. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    My first thought after seeing the title was to make a 410 sandwich.

14. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    No , you can't.
    You need a different cab. Putting holes in that one will not help at all.

15. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    I'm definitely not an expert on this subject but wouldn't four small enclosures tend to give it a small, boxy sound?

16. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Yes. I want to get rid of those and make more space inside...

17. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    I you are going to rip the cabinet apart and rebuild it anyways, try this along the way.

1 Pull out the internal baffles
    2 Play loud....
    If it still farts
    3. Buy a few pieces of PVC tubing for ports
    4. Cut round holes into the baffle board
    5. Stick the PVC tubes into the holes with the PVC sticking out of the cabinet.
    6. Play loud and keep trimming the tubes until it stops farting. or rig up something with 2 tubes that you can telescope to change the length of the port.
    7. Once you find a port length that works. Push it into the cabinet so the port is flush with the baffle board.
    8. Glue the port in place.

If this doesn't work...oh well you were going to replace everything with a new baffle board and speakers anyways.

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    No, the internal baffles should have no effect, except for the negligible amount of space that the wood occupies. System performance is based on box volume per driver. However, removing the baffles would allow the entire box to be served by a single port.

19. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No.

20. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    Holy cow- a 1000 Watt power amp. You're overdriving the speakers, as you mention, and short of replacing those speakers themselves, or just going with a new cab, I don't see any good options.

Don't cut your cab and fool around with that. Unless you're a pro cab designer/sonic wizard with real abilities in those areas, you have about a 95% chance of making whatever you have now sound 10 times worse in the future.

The only other choice (and it still costs money, unless your soundperson has one) is to buy yourself a DI box and run the signal into the PA so it's not only coming out of your amp, but also any sound reinforcement gear.