1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can I take off the pickguard on a modern geddy lee j-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Dec 6, 2011.

1. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    the title says it all. someone answered previously that it could be done and that there was no hole hidden under there, but his bass was 12 years old. Can I do that on a modern one without a problem? thanks

2. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    what sort of problem might you be anticipating?

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    ...just try it

4. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Yes.

If you use a small Phillips head screwdriver and turn each pickguard screw counterclockwise for several rotations, the pickguard should come right off. There should be no permanent damage from doing this and it will only take about as long as it took to post your question.

Next, you can evaluate for the presence of "the hole". If there is a hole, you can either choose to cover it back up with the pickguard, fill and color it to match, or live with the look of it being there.

Let us know what you find.

5. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    ^^^And a HIDDEN hole at that! :)

6. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    like a pickup wiring routing hole or something...I don't have the bass yet, it's being shipped. that's why I'm asking. A simple yes or no is not that complicated to give, guys

7. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
  8. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    ahhhh....the salient bit of missing data from the original post. I'm glad I gave you a simple 'yes' :smug:

9. Engine, I love you.

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Come on, now. Ya gotta admit.....this question was too easy for a simple yes or no. Let us have some fun. :smug:

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    As far as I know the only non american jazz that doesn't have that stupid hole (yes I know it's for the cnc router) is the Jaco, which doesn't come with a guard.

12. None of the Geddy's have routing trenches. You'll be fine. Geddy's actually look great without the pickguard.

13. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    erm... i understood his question perfectly... i believe most MIJ/CIJ basses have no CNC holes or over pup routing

14. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    thnaks a bunch, that's all I needed to know! I much prefer the no-pickguard look

and by thnaks, I mean thanks,

15. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    OK, I'll be helpful too.....
    I took mine off, and then took a small paintbrush (made for model details) and painted the insides of the screw holes with gloss black to match the body. It really helped the look - more than you might think.
    Good luck, and enjoy the Geddy!

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The black GL's also look pretty good with a black pickguard.

17. The question is "may I?"..."may I take the pickguard off my Geddy Lee jazz bass?" The answer is..."Yes, you may."

18. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    of course, and believe me it takes more to offend me...as long as my question gets answered at some point!:cool:

19. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm getting the sunburst one though:meh:

20. sunburst looks AWESOME without the pickguard.