1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Can I Talk GC Down From Their Price?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dhagler, Jan 1, 2013.

1. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    It's the same in most big stores where the sales staff works on commission. I went to a Harley Davidson dealer a few months ago and asked the sales guy a couple very basic technical questions. I mean, questions that I would have assumed everyone in the store should know. Not only did he not know the answers, but he called over his manager and HE didn't know the answers!

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Wait.... Why would you pay 600 for a Mexican fender in the first place.

3. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    It depends on the vendor. A lot of the "excluded" vendors on the list aren't actually excluded in the system, and you can apply the coupons in the system. I did this all the time with QSC, Yamaha, etc. even though they "excluded themselves". I gave discounts on that gear all the time. The bottom line is, most of those companies won't pick a bone with GC because GC moves a crapload of product for them.

Other retailers, such as Apple and Mesa Boogie, have hard minimums on their products built into the system. Managers rarely override them, and Got2SadowskyNYC is right - that can cost people their jobs on several levels. Saw a big FUBAR one time over an Apple laptop discount given to a student.

4. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    They made you feel that way on purpose to try to get you to move on it. It's a tactic that I never used and didn't approve of, but saw a lot of it at my store. I made deals any way I could as an employee...knowing that I was helping people make music was the only way I could sleep at night.

You gotta go to the right people...like I said, easiest way is to an easy-going asst manager. There's usually 3-4 employed per store depending on the size of the store. They are the lowest rank of employee that can change prices in the computer on their own without a coupon, and if you find the right one at the right time they'll be happy to cut a deal with you. Like I said, BE EXTRA NICE - it goes a long way in getting a deal. There were guys that were yellers, grumblers, etc. that I just stopped negotiating with because they were too much of a hassle to deal with. I'm sure you weren't like that, judging by what you said.

5. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Add to this that the sales staff will cut each other's throats, figuratively speaking. Example - I had a close friend who worked for a short time at GC. He'd put in a ton of time working with a customer. At some point, as the sale was almost made, the customer had a question my friend couldn't answer, so he asked another employee (who'd been there longer) for help. The next thing he knew, the other employee had rang up the sale and taken his commission. When my friend complained, the manager, who was friends with the other salesperson, shrugged his shoulders and told my pal, in essence - that's how it is and if you don't like it, leave.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

I didn't read it in detail, but I assumed it was Bain's SOP: companies owned in various "funds", which are controlled Bain with the occasional minority investor. I don't believe Bain is ever a passive investor in a company.

7. Now that you mention it, I think I did see that. In the midst of all the replies, I want to make sure I'm not coming off as being sarcastic, so let me say it: thank you for mentioning that. :)

8. You are correct, sir. Thanks. :)

9. Thanks. :)

10. You are correct, sir. Thanks. :)

11. Thanks for your response. I sure didn't mean to get you into a fight with all those other folks. :)

12. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Does cash really talk at a store where the manager doesn't really care if they pay the 2.75% fee or not? They'd probably rather have you use the GC card to pay for it since they likely have a targeted quota for GC card usage per store.

13. Got2SadowskyNYC, after my latest FIASCO with GC, I will never spend another dime there. 4 salesmen and the district sales manager have since tried to get me interested in another guitar, and I told them all to go fly a kite. Instead, I bought my son a Gibson SG Standard from a local store/ non-chain and paid cash, and was quite pleased. I'll pay a little more to keep the local guy open now...
    Alan

14. Thanks for your response. To your question, I am asking THIS particular forum because I have found it to be a valuable source of information, as well as a community of generally nice folks. And despite your "big boy pants" comments, I count you among them because I know you meant it tongue-in-cheek. :). Or at least that's what I choose to believe.

15. Thanks for your response. I'm hoping the fact that its been there since April might factor in more than the color. Then again, I'm an optimist. :)

16. Thanks. Something is certainly better than nothing. :)

17. Thanks for your response. Hoping so in my case. :)

18. Thanks for your response. Well stated. :)

19. Good suggestions both. Thanks!

20. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    dhagler - check for dings, scratches, etc. too! a bit of buckle rash will help your case! floor models at GC rarely escape the store without some sort of blemish.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021