1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Can I Talk GC Down From Their Price?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dhagler, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Thanks for your response. It's new, but at least I know better what my options are. :)

2. Again, thanks. :)

3. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I've always been successful haggling at GC. That said, I don't deal with the floor folks. They have little to no authority to do anything unless it involves a print coupon. I always have my research done (and I carry it with me in print) and work with a department or store manager.

4. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Hmmm... Interestingly enough, rather than fire anybody or threatening store closure the visiting DM treated the manager and myself to lunch after one such purchase.

What vendor would cut off GC and its affiliated retail operations for cutting their margin to move inventory?
    Can you cite an example of a manufacturer that has done this?

Ahh, the good ol’ days…

It was tongue in cheek, I meant go in "ready to do battle". As I mentioned in my last post, it has sometimes taken me a few visits to get the decision maker to come around to my point of view.

5. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    GC - Owned by Bain is on the ropes!

6. sensei_steve

sensei_steve Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Reisterstown, MD
    Hi folks. Great thread! I think i'll jump into this fray.
    I bought a new precision this fall and have made several other purchases. I buy on the phone from sam ash, musicians friend and occasionally retail at guitar center. I have always paid 20%-22% "discount".
    Let me tell you how.
    I believe what has already been posted here is more or less true.
    1. Sales people are on commission and "hungry."
    2. They want to make a sale.
    3. They cannot give "discounts."
    4. They can "price match" and in many cases will "price beat."
    Most important, you are not negotiating, you are asking if they can specifically match a price. Be polite and courteous. You want to encourage empathy with your sales person. Do not have an attitude and come off as trying to beat them up for a price and/or trying to avoid getting ripped off. You can shop in person and/or by phone. Your phone conversations are recorded. This works in your favor, it covers your sales person's a** and allows them to deal with you. Tell your sales person that you have been shopping and that your prefer dealing with (insert their company's name here) because of their great reputation for price and service. This is important, do your homework and be prepared to offer the name(s) of other dealers including ebay sellers and the best deal you have been offered. You will be asked. Be real here and be prepared take one of your other offers. I have never been asked to prove my offers. Once you've dropped their competitor's name and deal, do not speak or negotiate any more. Wait patiently. The sales person may offer some token resistance such as fender doesn't allow discounting or they have to work the numbers or they have to talk with their manager. They may be doing this because they are being recorded and are covering their a**. If they offer resistance to your request for price match, stay cool and impersonal and simply tell them that you appreciate them doing the best they can do. If they do offer to price match, you can ask them to beat the price if you buy now. This almost always works for me. Remember, you can always take one of your other offers or call the next company and the salesperson can always move on and take the next call.
    What does not work:
    1. Asking for a discount. They can't.
    2. Asking to match the price your friend got from another dealer.
    3. Wasting their time. Be prepared to buy now if you get the deal you want.
    4. Negotiating as some kind of tough negotiator.
    A little of my experience at guitar center. I've received the 10% discount on new gear when doing a trade in of any size. Price matching does not apply to guitar center exclusives like fender fsr's and mark bass, duh. Guitar center has price matched online dealers including musician's friend and did not charge tax; this let's you play and pick the gear you want and still get the price match.

7. In other words, were it not for Bain we would have been bemoaning the collapse of GC (and most probably Fender) a few years ago.

Fender Aims to Stay Plugged In

8. Glad you decided to jump in. Thanks! :)

9. It's all good. You've helped me a lot, as have many others here. Thanks again.

10. Shrekster

Shrekster

Dec 18, 2012

Steamthief, I'm with you! Cash is still King...GC is a large retailer but they want cash. As someone else said, use the on-line deals as leverage. And, don't offer the deal in front of a lot of folks. Good success.:)

11. Exemonium

Exemonium Supporting Member

May 13, 2010
    GC doesn't have the same power they used to to make deals at will. However there are almost always coupons to be had. Just ask what deals they have going on.

12. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Good lord, I had no idea they were in such bad shape. In GC's favor, I suppose, is that they've got the musical instrument retail version of "to big to fail" going in.

I think quite a few manufactures would be in trouble if their largest brick and mortar sales outlet just up and disappeared.

13. Update on the bass: it is a FSR made exclusively for GC. My local store sold the one they had (darn!) but the manager said he would check the other stores to see if he could find one. If he can I probably won't get a better deal than the 12% off coupon they gave me (unless they're running 15 or 20). On the other hand, this bass looks almost exactly like the American Vintage 75 Jazz Bass, which you can't find for less than $1600 anywhere. Mexican vs Fender, active vs passive, some might consider these deal breakers but if I can get the GC model then I'm a happy camper.

Either way, thanks again for all your responses. And wish me luck!

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/mim-70s-deluxe-active-jazz-bass-858516/

14. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Agreed, like with buying anything try your luck at haggling (as long as it is not a totally blatant low ball). The worst they can say is no.

15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    If they've got something marked at $899, $600 is probably below their cost.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021