Can I tell you a story?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 74rickbass, Aug 20, 2002.

1. This is a true story.

Me and my dad walk into the local music store. I looked around a played a couple basses while egnoring the nasty looks from the workers because I never buy anything. While this was going on my dad was talking to the repair shop guy and looked at this bass in his shop, this bass was a hondo 630, stock with a ugly purpleish brown see-through color that was all scrached up and compleat with a broken pickguard. My dad said jokingly, "How much", my dad was suspecting about 75, but the guy said "30 bucks aught to do it!" My dad was suprised and managed to say "sold!"

It acctully wasn't a bad bass for 30 bucks(the tuners alone would probably be more)
    Untill I got my hands on it.
    First thing I did was fool with the electronics, then I refinished it black, it didn't look good, but I put up with it. Then I pulled the frets, and it acctully didn't sound that bad, but it still looked crappy, So I refinished it again to a nice natuaral. :)

and that's the state it is in now.
    But I wish I totally didn't touch a thing!

So the moral of the story is, don't do anything to a bass that you can't reverse back to it's origanal state, believe me you thank your self down the road.

Thanks for your time.
    Nick :)
  2. No. :D

anyway man, i see where your coming from. What most people don't know is that i had a pre 1st bass, i guess you could call it. I had a 4 string guitar, because the top 2 strings had breaken off, and i played (barely, i was 8 at the time) the 4 strings through an octave pedal that my dad wasn't using. i wish i still had that guitar...
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Put some stickers on it! :p
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It was a Hondo. You could have set it on fire and it wouldn't have made it any worse. :D
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

naptha, butane, gasoline, pretty fire!!! :D
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, that's cool. can't beat 30 bucks for a bass. that's canadian too, right? jeeze, that's like 30 cents down here in the states, right? ;) j/k