Can I Temporarily Remove a Pickup From My Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Derian, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Derian

Derian

Jul 31, 2020
    I have recently acquired a very cool 1970s Japanese lawsuit era Electra 2261 EB3 bass copy and everything about is great, but after taking it to the shop for a much needed setup, I learned that the neck pickup, which is a cheap single coil disguised as a mudbucker, is too close to the strings, and is not at all adjustable in any way. From all the wear and tear of years of usage on that bass, surprisingly the pole pieces from the neck pickup stick up too high and causes an awful buzz from the strings which is very noticeable and ruins the tone. I considered having the pickup lowered by carving out the wood underneath it, but I've decided I should probably save up for a Curtis Novak mudbucker and replace the neck pickup for a real gibson style pickup. For now though, I was wondering if I could just cut the neck pickup out of the bass and just use the bridge pickup and cover the wire end with some electrical tape until I feel comfortable with buying a 300 dollar pickup. I just wanna make sure that is not a bonehead move before I do it. I dont feel like burning my house down or electrocuting myself so I just wanna make sure its safe, I dont really know much about electronics, so sorry if I sound like an idiot. Thank you

2. EmaTheMirror

EmaTheMirror

Oct 9, 2009
    London, UK
    I think the thread got double posted. Some admin or moderator like @twinjet will be able to delete this one.

I replied on the other one and it's probably better to put a notice here not to have two parallel threads running

TL;DR
    DO NOT REPLY HERE - DUPLICATE THREAD

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021